Apr 15, 2010, 8:51 PM EDT
Last night, upsets were the story. Tonight – so far at least – it seems like the first two games will be about great goaltending.
Tomas Plekanec was talking some serious smack about the Montreal Canadiens’ superior goalies and so far, Jaroslav Halak is living up to the forward’s boastful words. Halak has 26 saves right now and his only goal allowed was a screened point shot by Joe Corvo that you wasn’t really his fault. That being said, Jose Theodore hasn’t been too shabby either, stopping 19 out of 20 shots. The Capitals were dominating most of the two periods, but Montreal has been picking things up a little bit at the end of the second (they’re going into the third period with the remnants of a powerplay.) Both Halak and Theodore could set themselves up for big paydays as unrestricted free agents if they keep their strong play going.
The CBC announcers roughed up Ryan Miller for the goal he allowed on Mark Recchi (and Miller’s rebound control, in general), but the American goalie is still having a heck of a game right now. Miller has a stunning 32 saves already tonight, which would be an honest day’s work for a full game. Tuukka Rask has 18 saves on 20 shots but didn’t have much of a chance on that Vanek goal, in particular.
If this great netminding continues, we might just see our first overtime game(s) of the 2010 playoffs tonight.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)