Apr 15, 2010, 8:51 PM EDT
Last night, upsets were the story. Tonight – so far at least – it seems like the first two games will be about great goaltending.
Tomas Plekanec was talking some serious smack about the Montreal Canadiens’ superior goalies and so far, Jaroslav Halak is living up to the forward’s boastful words. Halak has 26 saves right now and his only goal allowed was a screened point shot by Joe Corvo that you wasn’t really his fault. That being said, Jose Theodore hasn’t been too shabby either, stopping 19 out of 20 shots. The Capitals were dominating most of the two periods, but Montreal has been picking things up a little bit at the end of the second (they’re going into the third period with the remnants of a powerplay.) Both Halak and Theodore could set themselves up for big paydays as unrestricted free agents if they keep their strong play going.
The CBC announcers roughed up Ryan Miller for the goal he allowed on Mark Recchi (and Miller’s rebound control, in general), but the American goalie is still having a heck of a game right now. Miller has a stunning 32 saves already tonight, which would be an honest day’s work for a full game. Tuukka Rask has 18 saves on 20 shots but didn’t have much of a chance on that Vanek goal, in particular.
If this great netminding continues, we might just see our first overtime game(s) of the 2010 playoffs tonight.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)