Apr 15, 2010, 8:51 PM EDT
Last night, upsets were the story. Tonight – so far at least – it seems like the first two games will be about great goaltending.
Tomas Plekanec was talking some serious smack about the Montreal Canadiens’ superior goalies and so far, Jaroslav Halak is living up to the forward’s boastful words. Halak has 26 saves right now and his only goal allowed was a screened point shot by Joe Corvo that you wasn’t really his fault. That being said, Jose Theodore hasn’t been too shabby either, stopping 19 out of 20 shots. The Capitals were dominating most of the two periods, but Montreal has been picking things up a little bit at the end of the second (they’re going into the third period with the remnants of a powerplay.) Both Halak and Theodore could set themselves up for big paydays as unrestricted free agents if they keep their strong play going.
The CBC announcers roughed up Ryan Miller for the goal he allowed on Mark Recchi (and Miller’s rebound control, in general), but the American goalie is still having a heck of a game right now. Miller has a stunning 32 saves already tonight, which would be an honest day’s work for a full game. Tuukka Rask has 18 saves on 20 shots but didn’t have much of a chance on that Vanek goal, in particular.
If this great netminding continues, we might just see our first overtime game(s) of the 2010 playoffs tonight.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 0
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)