Apr 15, 2010, 8:51 PM EDT
Last night, upsets were the story. Tonight – so far at least – it seems like the first two games will be about great goaltending.
Tomas Plekanec was talking some serious smack about the Montreal Canadiens’ superior goalies and so far, Jaroslav Halak is living up to the forward’s boastful words. Halak has 26 saves right now and his only goal allowed was a screened point shot by Joe Corvo that you wasn’t really his fault. That being said, Jose Theodore hasn’t been too shabby either, stopping 19 out of 20 shots. The Capitals were dominating most of the two periods, but Montreal has been picking things up a little bit at the end of the second (they’re going into the third period with the remnants of a powerplay.) Both Halak and Theodore could set themselves up for big paydays as unrestricted free agents if they keep their strong play going.
The CBC announcers roughed up Ryan Miller for the goal he allowed on Mark Recchi (and Miller’s rebound control, in general), but the American goalie is still having a heck of a game right now. Miller has a stunning 32 saves already tonight, which would be an honest day’s work for a full game. Tuukka Rask has 18 saves on 20 shots but didn’t have much of a chance on that Vanek goal, in particular.
If this great netminding continues, we might just see our first overtime game(s) of the 2010 playoffs tonight.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 3
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 7
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination