Apr 15, 2010, 2:03 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will lose a key piece of their team for the remainder of the season, with Milan Michalek tearing his ACL last night during the second period against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
He had been playing with a partially torn ACL, suffered on March 18. He returned for the final two games of the season.
It’s been a rough season for Milan Michalek, who has struggled defensively with the Ottawa Senators after spending the past four seasons in San Jose. He has just 34 points for the Senators this season, and had a woefully low minus-12 — though to be fair, the Senators have a bit different team dynamic than the Sharks team’s he been a part of.
Still, Michalek was going to be insanely important for the Senators if they hope to upset the Penguins, and his loss will certainly be felt on the team. The Senators will have a much tougher battle now, especially if the continue to allow four goals a night. I can guarantee that Fleury will not be allowing five goals each night.
This will be the fourth knee surgery for Michalek, the first on his left.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)