Apr 15, 2010, 2:03 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators will lose a key piece of their team for the remainder of the season, with Milan Michalek tearing his ACL last night during the second period against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
He had been playing with a partially torn ACL, suffered on March 18. He returned for the final two games of the season.
It’s been a rough season for Milan Michalek, who has struggled defensively with the Ottawa Senators after spending the past four seasons in San Jose. He has just 34 points for the Senators this season, and had a woefully low minus-12 — though to be fair, the Senators have a bit different team dynamic than the Sharks team’s he been a part of.
Still, Michalek was going to be insanely important for the Senators if they hope to upset the Penguins, and his loss will certainly be felt on the team. The Senators will have a much tougher battle now, especially if the continue to allow four goals a night. I can guarantee that Fleury will not be allowing five goals each night.
This will be the fourth knee surgery for Michalek, the first on his left.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)