Apr 15, 2010, 2:03 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will lose a key piece of their team for the remainder of the season, with Milan Michalek tearing his ACL last night during the second period against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
He had been playing with a partially torn ACL, suffered on March 18. He returned for the final two games of the season.
It’s been a rough season for Milan Michalek, who has struggled defensively with the Ottawa Senators after spending the past four seasons in San Jose. He has just 34 points for the Senators this season, and had a woefully low minus-12 — though to be fair, the Senators have a bit different team dynamic than the Sharks team’s he been a part of.
Still, Michalek was going to be insanely important for the Senators if they hope to upset the Penguins, and his loss will certainly be felt on the team. The Senators will have a much tougher battle now, especially if the continue to allow four goals a night. I can guarantee that Fleury will not be allowing five goals each night.
This will be the fourth knee surgery for Michalek, the first on his left.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)