Apr 15, 2010, 2:03 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will lose a key piece of their team for the remainder of the season, with Milan Michalek tearing his ACL last night during the second period against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
He had been playing with a partially torn ACL, suffered on March 18. He returned for the final two games of the season.
It’s been a rough season for Milan Michalek, who has struggled defensively with the Ottawa Senators after spending the past four seasons in San Jose. He has just 34 points for the Senators this season, and had a woefully low minus-12 — though to be fair, the Senators have a bit different team dynamic than the Sharks team’s he been a part of.
Still, Michalek was going to be insanely important for the Senators if they hope to upset the Penguins, and his loss will certainly be felt on the team. The Senators will have a much tougher battle now, especially if the continue to allow four goals a night. I can guarantee that Fleury will not be allowing five goals each night.
This will be the fourth knee surgery for Michalek, the first on his left.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 15
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 11
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 25
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 20
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 71
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (102)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement