Apr 15, 2010, 2:03 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will lose a key piece of their team for the remainder of the season, with Milan Michalek tearing his ACL last night during the second period against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
He had been playing with a partially torn ACL, suffered on March 18. He returned for the final two games of the season.
It’s been a rough season for Milan Michalek, who has struggled defensively with the Ottawa Senators after spending the past four seasons in San Jose. He has just 34 points for the Senators this season, and had a woefully low minus-12 — though to be fair, the Senators have a bit different team dynamic than the Sharks team’s he been a part of.
Still, Michalek was going to be insanely important for the Senators if they hope to upset the Penguins, and his loss will certainly be felt on the team. The Senators will have a much tougher battle now, especially if the continue to allow four goals a night. I can guarantee that Fleury will not be allowing five goals each night.
This will be the fourth knee surgery for Michalek, the first on his left.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)