Apr 15, 2010, 11:32 AM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs are hopeful they have solved their goaltending issues, as their early season struggles can be tied almost directly to the horrid goaltending they received.
After a one season “tryout” period, the Brian Burke has decided to give Jonas Gustavsson the chance to secure the full-time starter’s role and have given the Swedish netminder a two-year contract extension worth $2.7 million, per multiple sources.
Gustavsson, as expected, was a bit shaky to start his NHL career as he peppered moments of brilliance with inconsistency and inexperience. Yet as he grew more comfortable in net, so did the team around him and the Leafs finished the season on an incredibly promising note as the Leafs and Gustavsson finally played as a team — and had success in the process.
Gustavsson’s numbers on the season weren’t all that impressive — 16-15-9, 2.87 GAA, 0.902 save % – but they are certainly skewed by the struggles that come with playing your first season in the NHL for a woefully bad team.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)