Apr 15, 2010, 11:32 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are hopeful they have solved their goaltending issues, as their early season struggles can be tied almost directly to the horrid goaltending they received.
After a one season “tryout” period, the Brian Burke has decided to give Jonas Gustavsson the chance to secure the full-time starter’s role and have given the Swedish netminder a two-year contract extension worth $2.7 million, per multiple sources.
Gustavsson, as expected, was a bit shaky to start his NHL career as he peppered moments of brilliance with inconsistency and inexperience. Yet as he grew more comfortable in net, so did the team around him and the Leafs finished the season on an incredibly promising note as the Leafs and Gustavsson finally played as a team — and had success in the process.
Gustavsson’s numbers on the season weren’t all that impressive — 16-15-9, 2.87 GAA, 0.902 save % – but they are certainly skewed by the struggles that come with playing your first season in the NHL for a woefully bad team.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)