Apr 15, 2010, 11:32 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are hopeful they have solved their goaltending issues, as their early season struggles can be tied almost directly to the horrid goaltending they received.
After a one season “tryout” period, the Brian Burke has decided to give Jonas Gustavsson the chance to secure the full-time starter’s role and have given the Swedish netminder a two-year contract extension worth $2.7 million, per multiple sources.
Gustavsson, as expected, was a bit shaky to start his NHL career as he peppered moments of brilliance with inconsistency and inexperience. Yet as he grew more comfortable in net, so did the team around him and the Leafs finished the season on an incredibly promising note as the Leafs and Gustavsson finally played as a team — and had success in the process.
Gustavsson’s numbers on the season weren’t all that impressive — 16-15-9, 2.87 GAA, 0.902 save % – but they are certainly skewed by the struggles that come with playing your first season in the NHL for a woefully bad team.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 8
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)