Apr 15, 2010, 11:54 PM EDT
After a rough-and-tumble (but scoreless) first period, the Kings and Canucks combined for an exciting four-goal second.
The highlight reel goal was scored by the Sedin twins. Henrik Sedin led a rush up the ice, deftly passing the puck to his brother Daniel. Then “The Shooting Sedin” Daniel took advantage of a little extra space to make a knee-weakening backhand move for what will likely be the prettiest goal of the night. Daniel also made a nice, subtle play to set up the Canucks’ first goal by kicking the puck to Mikael Samuelsson for a powerplay goal.
The Los Angeles Kings began the night’s scoring with a Jarret Stoll powerplay tally. Vancouver’s Andrew Alberts tilted the momentum in LA’s direction when the game was 2-1 Vancouver after he delivered a blindsided hit to Kings’ forward Brad Richardson. Alberts was tossed from the game and the Kings were given a five minute powerplay. From there, Alex Frolov set up John Malkovich/Dexter look-alike Fredrik Modin to even the game up at 2.
So that’s where we stand: a contentious, rough and entertaining bout that spotlights just how awesome the Western Conference is. Stay tuned for more updates as this game goes forward. Could we see a second overtime game tonight?
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)