Apr 15, 2010, 11:54 PM EST
After a rough-and-tumble (but scoreless) first period, the Kings and Canucks combined for an exciting four-goal second.
The highlight reel goal was scored by the Sedin twins. Henrik Sedin led a rush up the ice, deftly passing the puck to his brother Daniel. Then “The Shooting Sedin” Daniel took advantage of a little extra space to make a knee-weakening backhand move for what will likely be the prettiest goal of the night. Daniel also made a nice, subtle play to set up the Canucks’ first goal by kicking the puck to Mikael Samuelsson for a powerplay goal.
The Los Angeles Kings began the night’s scoring with a Jarret Stoll powerplay tally. Vancouver’s Andrew Alberts tilted the momentum in LA’s direction when the game was 2-1 Vancouver after he delivered a blindsided hit to Kings’ forward Brad Richardson. Alberts was tossed from the game and the Kings were given a five minute powerplay. From there, Alex Frolov set up John Malkovich/Dexter look-alike Fredrik Modin to even the game up at 2.
So that’s where we stand: a contentious, rough and entertaining bout that spotlights just how awesome the Western Conference is. Stay tuned for more updates as this game goes forward. Could we see a second overtime game tonight?
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)