Apr 15, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
I think the comparison I made in March holds true: the 2010 IIHF World Championships are to NCAA Basketball’s NIT as the Stanley Cup playoffs are to March Madness. That being said, it’s still a chance to see players forgo yacht and sun bathing time to play just a little more hockey.
Team USA named 12 of its members today. Here’s the report from NHL.com.
Florida Panthers goalie Scott Clemmensen and New York Islanders forward Kyle Okposo were among the first 12 players named to the United States squad that will compete at the 2010 IIHF World Championships in Germany from May 7-23.
Clemmensen and Okposo are returning from last year’s tournament team that finished fourth.
Also named were Brandon Dubinsky and Matt Gilroy of the New York Rangers, Eric Nystrom of the Calgary Flames, Edmonton’s Ryan Potulny, the Islanders’ Jack Hillen, Tampa Bay’s Mike Lundin, Anaheim’s Ryan Carter, Toronto’s Christian Hanson and Calgary’s David Moss.
As you may notice, 12 players is far short from a full 20-man roster (not to mention reserves/taxi squad guys if that applies). The logic of not naming a full roster is simple: Team USA (and Canada, who I’ll discuss later today) will be able to snatch hockey players from teams who get knocked out of the playoffs. The tournament starts in Germany on May 7, so that gives at least a round or two of possible supplemental players.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 2
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)