Apr 15, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
I think the comparison I made in March holds true: the 2010 IIHF World Championships are to NCAA Basketball’s NIT as the Stanley Cup playoffs are to March Madness. That being said, it’s still a chance to see players forgo yacht and sun bathing time to play just a little more hockey.
Team USA named 12 of its members today. Here’s the report from NHL.com.
Florida Panthers goalie Scott Clemmensen and New York Islanders forward Kyle Okposo were among the first 12 players named to the United States squad that will compete at the 2010 IIHF World Championships in Germany from May 7-23.
Clemmensen and Okposo are returning from last year’s tournament team that finished fourth.
Also named were Brandon Dubinsky and Matt Gilroy of the New York Rangers, Eric Nystrom of the Calgary Flames, Edmonton’s Ryan Potulny, the Islanders’ Jack Hillen, Tampa Bay’s Mike Lundin, Anaheim’s Ryan Carter, Toronto’s Christian Hanson and Calgary’s David Moss.
As you may notice, 12 players is far short from a full 20-man roster (not to mention reserves/taxi squad guys if that applies). The logic of not naming a full roster is simple: Team USA (and Canada, who I’ll discuss later today) will be able to snatch hockey players from teams who get knocked out of the playoffs. The tournament starts in Germany on May 7, so that gives at least a round or two of possible supplemental players.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)