Apr 15, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins had their shot last night.
Tonight, Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals begin their quest to
silence the doubters and take off on what they hope to be a two-month
journey to the Stanley Cup finals.
Leading them is Alex Ovechkin,
perhaps the most skilled player in the NHL. He’s the team captain, a
vicious hitter, an incredibly dangerous goal scorer and a quiet and calm
leader in the locker room.
Ovechkin and the the rest of the players,
the team is taking a different approach to the playoffs this year:
just more calm,” Ovechkin said. “We just stay quiet. Last two
years in the playoffs, we just give all our emotions here in the locker
room, like, ‘Oh, yeah, we get in the playoffs, it’s going to be
The Capitals enter the postseason with one hell of a
chip on their shoulder, fueled by their desire to prove everyone wrong.
They’ve played with a “it’s us against them” mentality and that won’t
change in the playoffs; they’ve adopted a “26 GUYS. 1 TEAM. 1 GOAL”
motto for the team that builds upon their already strong solidarity.
outspoken and brash Alex Ovechkin is one thing. A calm, intense
Ovechkin who is hellbent on destroying whatever stands in his way in the
playoffs? Scary beyond belief.
I feel bad for the Canadiens.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 7
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 12
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)