Apr 15, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins had their shot last night.
Tonight, Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals begin their quest to
silence the doubters and take off on what they hope to be a two-month
journey to the Stanley Cup finals.
Leading them is Alex Ovechkin,
perhaps the most skilled player in the NHL. He’s the team captain, a
vicious hitter, an incredibly dangerous goal scorer and a quiet and calm
leader in the locker room.
Ovechkin and the the rest of the players,
the team is taking a different approach to the playoffs this year:
just more calm,” Ovechkin said. “We just stay quiet. Last two
years in the playoffs, we just give all our emotions here in the locker
room, like, ‘Oh, yeah, we get in the playoffs, it’s going to be
The Capitals enter the postseason with one hell of a
chip on their shoulder, fueled by their desire to prove everyone wrong.
They’ve played with a “it’s us against them” mentality and that won’t
change in the playoffs; they’ve adopted a “26 GUYS. 1 TEAM. 1 GOAL”
motto for the team that builds upon their already strong solidarity.
outspoken and brash Alex Ovechkin is one thing. A calm, intense
Ovechkin who is hellbent on destroying whatever stands in his way in the
playoffs? Scary beyond belief.
I feel bad for the Canadiens.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 21
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)