Apr 14, 2010, 9:54 AM EST
On Monday we wrote about how the Atlanta Thrashers should fire Don Waddell as the team’s general manager, stating how he could be moved to team president.
Today, we’re getting preliminary reports that the team has fired the coaching staff, including head coach John Anderson, and that Rick Dudley will take over general manager duties.
While the front office changes aren’t that surprising, it is a bit unexpected to learn that Anderson will not be retained. Of course, we’ve been getting hints that the coaching staff wasn’t exactly working hard at getting the team to win, and it’s likely the Thrashers are wanting a fresh start in all facets of management.
Update: Here’s the statement from the Atlanta Thrashers.
The Atlanta Thrashers have promoted Don Waddell to President and Rick
Dudley to General Manager, according to Co-Owner Bruce Levenson.
The team also announced that it will not retain Head Coach John
Anderson and Assistant Coaches Randy Cunneyworth, Todd
Nelson and Steve Weeks. In his new role, Waddell will focus
primarily on all business aspects of the organization, and as General
Manager, Dudley will be responsible for all hockey operations.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 56
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 34
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)