Apr 14, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
On Monday we wrote about how the Atlanta Thrashers should fire Don Waddell as the team’s general manager, stating how he could be moved to team president.
Today, we’re getting preliminary reports that the team has fired the coaching staff, including head coach John Anderson, and that Rick Dudley will take over general manager duties.
While the front office changes aren’t that surprising, it is a bit unexpected to learn that Anderson will not be retained. Of course, we’ve been getting hints that the coaching staff wasn’t exactly working hard at getting the team to win, and it’s likely the Thrashers are wanting a fresh start in all facets of management.
Update: Here’s the statement from the Atlanta Thrashers.
The Atlanta Thrashers have promoted Don Waddell to President and Rick
Dudley to General Manager, according to Co-Owner Bruce Levenson.
The team also announced that it will not retain Head Coach John
Anderson and Assistant Coaches Randy Cunneyworth, Todd
Nelson and Steve Weeks. In his new role, Waddell will focus
primarily on all business aspects of the organization, and as General
Manager, Dudley will be responsible for all hockey operations.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)