Apr 14, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
On Monday we wrote about how the Atlanta Thrashers should fire Don Waddell as the team’s general manager, stating how he could be moved to team president.
Today, we’re getting preliminary reports that the team has fired the coaching staff, including head coach John Anderson, and that Rick Dudley will take over general manager duties.
While the front office changes aren’t that surprising, it is a bit unexpected to learn that Anderson will not be retained. Of course, we’ve been getting hints that the coaching staff wasn’t exactly working hard at getting the team to win, and it’s likely the Thrashers are wanting a fresh start in all facets of management.
Update: Here’s the statement from the Atlanta Thrashers.
The Atlanta Thrashers have promoted Don Waddell to President and Rick
Dudley to General Manager, according to Co-Owner Bruce Levenson.
The team also announced that it will not retain Head Coach John
Anderson and Assistant Coaches Randy Cunneyworth, Todd
Nelson and Steve Weeks. In his new role, Waddell will focus
primarily on all business aspects of the organization, and as General
Manager, Dudley will be responsible for all hockey operations.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)