Apr 14, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
On Monday we wrote about how the Atlanta Thrashers should fire Don Waddell as the team’s general manager, stating how he could be moved to team president.
Today, we’re getting preliminary reports that the team has fired the coaching staff, including head coach John Anderson, and that Rick Dudley will take over general manager duties.
While the front office changes aren’t that surprising, it is a bit unexpected to learn that Anderson will not be retained. Of course, we’ve been getting hints that the coaching staff wasn’t exactly working hard at getting the team to win, and it’s likely the Thrashers are wanting a fresh start in all facets of management.
Update: Here’s the statement from the Atlanta Thrashers.
The Atlanta Thrashers have promoted Don Waddell to President and Rick
Dudley to General Manager, according to Co-Owner Bruce Levenson.
The team also announced that it will not retain Head Coach John
Anderson and Assistant Coaches Randy Cunneyworth, Todd
Nelson and Steve Weeks. In his new role, Waddell will focus
primarily on all business aspects of the organization, and as General
Manager, Dudley will be responsible for all hockey operations.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)