Apr 14, 2010, 6:49 PM EST
Change is coming in Edmonton.
Last year it was the coaching
staff. This season, general manager Steve Tambellini is promising change
on the roster; he started this change at the trade deadline and it will
continue this summer.
The starting point: disgruntled defenseman
“He didn’t help the situation,” said
Tambellini. “But I am sick and
tired of hearing people complain about this city, this organization, the
coach, the cold … If you can’t develop your own core of expectations
of what an Oiler is, respect for the logo, for the city, you’re always
going to be spinning your wheels.”
have plenty of roster spots to fill, but as of now not a whole lot of
room with which to work. The Oilers currently have $41 million locked up
in 14 players for next season, with ten players facing restricted free
agency this summer.
Of course, trading away Souray’s $5.4 million a
year salary will help. Tambellini will certainly have his hands full,
and states that the Oilers will be focused on player development and
drafting; not exactly the quick fix that fans will be wanting. With
their current roster situation and the current payroll, it’s going to
take some time to fix the mess that’s been made.
Tambellini has no one to blame but himself.
At least he has the first pick of the draft to work with. Not the worst way with which to start a new direction for the franchise.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 16
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)