Apr 14, 2010, 6:49 PM EST
Change is coming in Edmonton.
Last year it was the coaching
staff. This season, general manager Steve Tambellini is promising change
on the roster; he started this change at the trade deadline and it will
continue this summer.
The starting point: disgruntled defenseman
“He didn’t help the situation,” said
Tambellini. “But I am sick and
tired of hearing people complain about this city, this organization, the
coach, the cold … If you can’t develop your own core of expectations
of what an Oiler is, respect for the logo, for the city, you’re always
going to be spinning your wheels.”
have plenty of roster spots to fill, but as of now not a whole lot of
room with which to work. The Oilers currently have $41 million locked up
in 14 players for next season, with ten players facing restricted free
agency this summer.
Of course, trading away Souray’s $5.4 million a
year salary will help. Tambellini will certainly have his hands full,
and states that the Oilers will be focused on player development and
drafting; not exactly the quick fix that fans will be wanting. With
their current roster situation and the current payroll, it’s going to
take some time to fix the mess that’s been made.
Tambellini has no one to blame but himself.
At least he has the first pick of the draft to work with. Not the worst way with which to start a new direction for the franchise.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (147)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)