Apr 14, 2010, 6:49 PM EST
Change is coming in Edmonton.
Last year it was the coaching
staff. This season, general manager Steve Tambellini is promising change
on the roster; he started this change at the trade deadline and it will
continue this summer.
The starting point: disgruntled defenseman
“He didn’t help the situation,” said
Tambellini. “But I am sick and
tired of hearing people complain about this city, this organization, the
coach, the cold … If you can’t develop your own core of expectations
of what an Oiler is, respect for the logo, for the city, you’re always
going to be spinning your wheels.”
have plenty of roster spots to fill, but as of now not a whole lot of
room with which to work. The Oilers currently have $41 million locked up
in 14 players for next season, with ten players facing restricted free
agency this summer.
Of course, trading away Souray’s $5.4 million a
year salary will help. Tambellini will certainly have his hands full,
and states that the Oilers will be focused on player development and
drafting; not exactly the quick fix that fans will be wanting. With
their current roster situation and the current payroll, it’s going to
take some time to fix the mess that’s been made.
Tambellini has no one to blame but himself.
At least he has the first pick of the draft to work with. Not the worst way with which to start a new direction for the franchise.
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 9
- Mike Richards clears waivers 22
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)