Apr 14, 2010, 6:49 PM EDT
Change is coming in Edmonton.
Last year it was the coaching
staff. This season, general manager Steve Tambellini is promising change
on the roster; he started this change at the trade deadline and it will
continue this summer.
The starting point: disgruntled defenseman
“He didn’t help the situation,” said
Tambellini. “But I am sick and
tired of hearing people complain about this city, this organization, the
coach, the cold … If you can’t develop your own core of expectations
of what an Oiler is, respect for the logo, for the city, you’re always
going to be spinning your wheels.”
have plenty of roster spots to fill, but as of now not a whole lot of
room with which to work. The Oilers currently have $41 million locked up
in 14 players for next season, with ten players facing restricted free
agency this summer.
Of course, trading away Souray’s $5.4 million a
year salary will help. Tambellini will certainly have his hands full,
and states that the Oilers will be focused on player development and
drafting; not exactly the quick fix that fans will be wanting. With
their current roster situation and the current payroll, it’s going to
take some time to fix the mess that’s been made.
Tambellini has no one to blame but himself.
At least he has the first pick of the draft to work with. Not the worst way with which to start a new direction for the franchise.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)