Apr 14, 2010, 6:49 PM EDT
Change is coming in Edmonton.
Last year it was the coaching
staff. This season, general manager Steve Tambellini is promising change
on the roster; he started this change at the trade deadline and it will
continue this summer.
The starting point: disgruntled defenseman
“He didn’t help the situation,” said
Tambellini. “But I am sick and
tired of hearing people complain about this city, this organization, the
coach, the cold … If you can’t develop your own core of expectations
of what an Oiler is, respect for the logo, for the city, you’re always
going to be spinning your wheels.”
have plenty of roster spots to fill, but as of now not a whole lot of
room with which to work. The Oilers currently have $41 million locked up
in 14 players for next season, with ten players facing restricted free
agency this summer.
Of course, trading away Souray’s $5.4 million a
year salary will help. Tambellini will certainly have his hands full,
and states that the Oilers will be focused on player development and
drafting; not exactly the quick fix that fans will be wanting. With
their current roster situation and the current payroll, it’s going to
take some time to fix the mess that’s been made.
Tambellini has no one to blame but himself.
At least he has the first pick of the draft to work with. Not the worst way with which to start a new direction for the franchise.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)