Apr 14, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
There’s no doubt in my mind that the Penguins’ ugly 5-4 loss to the Senators can be placed on Marc-Andre Fleury’s shoulders. Sure, the team didn’t look particularly sharp, but Fleury allowed hare brained goal after hare brained goal, castrating Pittsburgh’s spirits and letting a similarly unimpressive Brian Elliott off the hook.
As Brandon said, Fleury’s rebound control was horrendous. It’s not as if Ottawa’s superstars controlled the game, either; the Senators benefited from a goal each from Chris Neil, Chris Kelly and Jarkko Ruutu.
I hate to say it, but while this was an unusually bad performance by Fleury, the goals he allowed seemed all-too-familiar. The 2003 No. 1 overall pick gave up some awful goals against the Red Wings early in the Stanley Cup Finals (two words: Justin Abdelkader) and belched out a few embarrassing early goals in the epic Capitals series to boot.
It’s funny how a Stanley Cup can heal all wounds, because Fleury wasn’t nearly as sharp in 08-09 (90.8% save percentage and a 2.67 GAA) as he was in 07-08 (93.3% save percentage and a 1.97 GAA). I’m not saying he was (or is) horrible, he’s just a notch – or a few notches – below “elite.”
Whatever way you slice it, the Penguins need a better performance from their franchise goalie.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 10
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)