Apr 14, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
There’s no doubt in my mind that the Penguins’ ugly 5-4 loss to the Senators can be placed on Marc-Andre Fleury’s shoulders. Sure, the team didn’t look particularly sharp, but Fleury allowed hare brained goal after hare brained goal, castrating Pittsburgh’s spirits and letting a similarly unimpressive Brian Elliott off the hook.
As Brandon said, Fleury’s rebound control was horrendous. It’s not as if Ottawa’s superstars controlled the game, either; the Senators benefited from a goal each from Chris Neil, Chris Kelly and Jarkko Ruutu.
I hate to say it, but while this was an unusually bad performance by Fleury, the goals he allowed seemed all-too-familiar. The 2003 No. 1 overall pick gave up some awful goals against the Red Wings early in the Stanley Cup Finals (two words: Justin Abdelkader) and belched out a few embarrassing early goals in the epic Capitals series to boot.
It’s funny how a Stanley Cup can heal all wounds, because Fleury wasn’t nearly as sharp in 08-09 (90.8% save percentage and a 2.67 GAA) as he was in 07-08 (93.3% save percentage and a 1.97 GAA). I’m not saying he was (or is) horrible, he’s just a notch – or a few notches – below “elite.”
Whatever way you slice it, the Penguins need a better performance from their franchise goalie.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 97
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 12
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (99)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)