Apr 14, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
With the Atlanta Thrashers moving on without coach John Anderson, and
Rick Dudley stepping up become the general manager, we’re already
starting to get guesses as to who might take over on the bench. The
first name we saw mentioned — in many places — was John Torchetti, the
Chicago assistant coach with close ties to Dudley.
Custance of Sporting News is looking in a different direction:
former Flyers head coach John Stevens.
has one more year remaining on his deal with the Flyers, is eager to
again and the Thrashers appeal to him as a destination.
Dudley is involved there and he’s a very good hockey man. He doesn’t
anything,” Stevens told SportingNews.com. “The part of the team I like
is their defense.”
You would think that the Thrashers might want to
go with a more established coach, who’s had some postseason success.
Ken Hitchcock is available, as well as Craig MacTavish. Dudley, however,
is one who normally sticks with the coaches he knows well; I doubt he
hires a coach he’s never worked with before.
Speaking of Dudley, if the Thrashers are looking
at finally getting their team over the hump from “potential” to
“results” then Dudley is their man. He was instrumental in helping build
the Blackhawks, as well as the Stanley Cup winning team in Tampa Bay.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 5
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 14
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)