Apr 14, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
With the Atlanta Thrashers moving on without coach John Anderson, and
Rick Dudley stepping up become the general manager, we’re already
starting to get guesses as to who might take over on the bench. The
first name we saw mentioned — in many places — was John Torchetti, the
Chicago assistant coach with close ties to Dudley.
Custance of Sporting News is looking in a different direction:
former Flyers head coach John Stevens.
has one more year remaining on his deal with the Flyers, is eager to
again and the Thrashers appeal to him as a destination.
Dudley is involved there and he’s a very good hockey man. He doesn’t
anything,” Stevens told SportingNews.com. “The part of the team I like
is their defense.”
You would think that the Thrashers might want to
go with a more established coach, who’s had some postseason success.
Ken Hitchcock is available, as well as Craig MacTavish. Dudley, however,
is one who normally sticks with the coaches he knows well; I doubt he
hires a coach he’s never worked with before.
Speaking of Dudley, if the Thrashers are looking
at finally getting their team over the hump from “potential” to
“results” then Dudley is their man. He was instrumental in helping build
the Blackhawks, as well as the Stanley Cup winning team in Tampa Bay.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)