Apr 14, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
With the Atlanta Thrashers moving on without coach John Anderson, and
Rick Dudley stepping up become the general manager, we’re already
starting to get guesses as to who might take over on the bench. The
first name we saw mentioned — in many places — was John Torchetti, the
Chicago assistant coach with close ties to Dudley.
Custance of Sporting News is looking in a different direction:
former Flyers head coach John Stevens.
has one more year remaining on his deal with the Flyers, is eager to
again and the Thrashers appeal to him as a destination.
Dudley is involved there and he’s a very good hockey man. He doesn’t
anything,” Stevens told SportingNews.com. “The part of the team I like
is their defense.”
You would think that the Thrashers might want to
go with a more established coach, who’s had some postseason success.
Ken Hitchcock is available, as well as Craig MacTavish. Dudley, however,
is one who normally sticks with the coaches he knows well; I doubt he
hires a coach he’s never worked with before.
Speaking of Dudley, if the Thrashers are looking
at finally getting their team over the hump from “potential” to
“results” then Dudley is their man. He was instrumental in helping build
the Blackhawks, as well as the Stanley Cup winning team in Tampa Bay.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)