Apr 14, 2010, 4:05 PM EST
have to admit, it’s great to see Dave Tippett succeeding in Phoenix.
Tippett is a great coach and a tremendous person off the ice, and he
deserved a chance to rebound after being let go in Dallas last summer.
Gintonio of AZCentral.com talked with Tippett about turning the
Coyotes around in his first season as coach.
“I’m really proud of the work these guys have put in.
It’s been a real good group effort with everybody. For me, making the
postseason, I said earlier I fully expected us to make the postseason.
Now the special time starts … a good year turns into a great year if
you can really play well in the playoffs.”
Gintonio also provides a bit of a barb in the direction of the Dallas
One year in six that Dave Tippett does not make the
playoffs apparently was one too many for the Dallas brass.
Today: Tippett has the Coyotes in the playoffs, and the Stars are not
As the Dallas Stars sit at home for the
second straight season, Tippett and his Coyotes will be taking on the
Red Wings in the playoffs. There’s going to be the inevitable “See! The
Stars should never have fired Tippett” cries, as the Coyotes take
advantage of a supposed Stars folly.
As much as I want Tippett to
succeed and see a good coach rewarded, he was not fired last summer
simply because the Stars made the playoffs. He was coaching a team that
had made it out of the first round just twice during his time there, and
consistently underperformed when it counted most. The Stars struggled
through horrid starts to the season two years straight, and there was a
sentiment he had lost control of the locker room.
It was time for
Tippett to move on, especially with Joe Nieuwendyk wanting the Stars to
head in a new direction. That he succeeds in Phoenix should have no
bearing on what happened last summer with Dallas.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)