Apr 14, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
have to admit, it’s great to see Dave Tippett succeeding in Phoenix.
Tippett is a great coach and a tremendous person off the ice, and he
deserved a chance to rebound after being let go in Dallas last summer.
Gintonio of AZCentral.com talked with Tippett about turning the
Coyotes around in his first season as coach.
“I’m really proud of the work these guys have put in.
It’s been a real good group effort with everybody. For me, making the
postseason, I said earlier I fully expected us to make the postseason.
Now the special time starts … a good year turns into a great year if
you can really play well in the playoffs.”
Gintonio also provides a bit of a barb in the direction of the Dallas
One year in six that Dave Tippett does not make the
playoffs apparently was one too many for the Dallas brass.
Today: Tippett has the Coyotes in the playoffs, and the Stars are not
As the Dallas Stars sit at home for the
second straight season, Tippett and his Coyotes will be taking on the
Red Wings in the playoffs. There’s going to be the inevitable “See! The
Stars should never have fired Tippett” cries, as the Coyotes take
advantage of a supposed Stars folly.
As much as I want Tippett to
succeed and see a good coach rewarded, he was not fired last summer
simply because the Stars made the playoffs. He was coaching a team that
had made it out of the first round just twice during his time there, and
consistently underperformed when it counted most. The Stars struggled
through horrid starts to the season two years straight, and there was a
sentiment he had lost control of the locker room.
It was time for
Tippett to move on, especially with Joe Nieuwendyk wanting the Stars to
head in a new direction. That he succeeds in Phoenix should have no
bearing on what happened last summer with Dallas.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)