Apr 14, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
have to admit, it’s great to see Dave Tippett succeeding in Phoenix.
Tippett is a great coach and a tremendous person off the ice, and he
deserved a chance to rebound after being let go in Dallas last summer.
Gintonio of AZCentral.com talked with Tippett about turning the
Coyotes around in his first season as coach.
“I’m really proud of the work these guys have put in.
It’s been a real good group effort with everybody. For me, making the
postseason, I said earlier I fully expected us to make the postseason.
Now the special time starts … a good year turns into a great year if
you can really play well in the playoffs.”
Gintonio also provides a bit of a barb in the direction of the Dallas
One year in six that Dave Tippett does not make the
playoffs apparently was one too many for the Dallas brass.
Today: Tippett has the Coyotes in the playoffs, and the Stars are not
As the Dallas Stars sit at home for the
second straight season, Tippett and his Coyotes will be taking on the
Red Wings in the playoffs. There’s going to be the inevitable “See! The
Stars should never have fired Tippett” cries, as the Coyotes take
advantage of a supposed Stars folly.
As much as I want Tippett to
succeed and see a good coach rewarded, he was not fired last summer
simply because the Stars made the playoffs. He was coaching a team that
had made it out of the first round just twice during his time there, and
consistently underperformed when it counted most. The Stars struggled
through horrid starts to the season two years straight, and there was a
sentiment he had lost control of the locker room.
It was time for
Tippett to move on, especially with Joe Nieuwendyk wanting the Stars to
head in a new direction. That he succeeds in Phoenix should have no
bearing on what happened last summer with Dallas.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 26
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 14
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 103
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement