Apr 14, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
have to admit, it’s great to see Dave Tippett succeeding in Phoenix.
Tippett is a great coach and a tremendous person off the ice, and he
deserved a chance to rebound after being let go in Dallas last summer.
Gintonio of AZCentral.com talked with Tippett about turning the
Coyotes around in his first season as coach.
“I’m really proud of the work these guys have put in.
It’s been a real good group effort with everybody. For me, making the
postseason, I said earlier I fully expected us to make the postseason.
Now the special time starts … a good year turns into a great year if
you can really play well in the playoffs.”
Gintonio also provides a bit of a barb in the direction of the Dallas
One year in six that Dave Tippett does not make the
playoffs apparently was one too many for the Dallas brass.
Today: Tippett has the Coyotes in the playoffs, and the Stars are not
As the Dallas Stars sit at home for the
second straight season, Tippett and his Coyotes will be taking on the
Red Wings in the playoffs. There’s going to be the inevitable “See! The
Stars should never have fired Tippett” cries, as the Coyotes take
advantage of a supposed Stars folly.
As much as I want Tippett to
succeed and see a good coach rewarded, he was not fired last summer
simply because the Stars made the playoffs. He was coaching a team that
had made it out of the first round just twice during his time there, and
consistently underperformed when it counted most. The Stars struggled
through horrid starts to the season two years straight, and there was a
sentiment he had lost control of the locker room.
It was time for
Tippett to move on, especially with Joe Nieuwendyk wanting the Stars to
head in a new direction. That he succeeds in Phoenix should have no
bearing on what happened last summer with Dallas.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)