Apr 14, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
This is what everyone loves to do as we gear up for the first of four
rounds of playoff hockey: throw a dart at the wall and hope we can
come close to predicting the outcomes of each series.
So we are, Pro Hockey Talk’s predictions for 2010 NHL Western
Quarterfinals predictions (Eastern
(1) San Jose Sharks vs. (8) Colorado Avalanche (full
Season series (Tied 2-2)
Oct. 1: San
Jose 2 @ Colorado 5
Oct. 30: Colorado 1 @ San Jose 3
28: Colorado 3 @ San Jose 4
April 4: San Jose 4 @
Colorado 5 (OT)
Brandon: Oh boy…San Jose’s worst
nightmare: a hungry, speedy, talented and young team with solid
goaltending. Must…not…choke….again…. Colorado in 7.
James: Everyone is so in love with the
Sharks “choking.” It’s kind of like when someone unfunny finds that one
joke that makes them feel part of a group. Like my grade school friend
who used to say “Kung Pao Chicken” every day because we laughed at it
twice. San Jose in 4.
Joe: Colorado is
gassed, San Jose is just naturally better. There’s ZERO reason for the
Sharks to lose this series. But if they do… perhaps it’s time for an
on-ice personnel change or twelve. San Jose in 5.
(2) Chicago Blackhawks vs. Nashville Predators (full
Season series (Chicago won 4-2)
Chicago 3 @ Nashville 1
Oct. 24: Nashville 0 @ Chicago 2
29: Chicago 0 @ Nashville 2
Dec. 4: Nashville 4 @ Chicago
Dec. 26: Chicago 4 @ Nashville 1
Nashville 4 @ Chicago 5
Brandon: This could be the best shot the
Blackhawks will get at a Stanley Cup. The Nashville Predators are the
perfect team to get in their way….but the Hawks are too hungry. Chicago
James: The Predators could give the
Blackhawks some serious headaches. That being said, I think that
Nashville’s lack of high-end offense will be a huge disadvantage against
the loaded Chicago team. Chicago in 6.
think this is a terrible matchup for Chicago and Nashville will give
them everything they can handle and thensome. If Chicago is going to
show they’re for real, beating the Predators will go a long way towards
proving that. Chicago in 7.
More after the jump.
(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) Los Angeles Kings (full
Season series (Vancouver won 3-1)
Vancouver 2 @ Los Angeles 1 (SO)
Nov. 26: Los Angeles 1 @
Dec. 14: Los Angeles 1 @ Vancouver 3
1: Vancouver 3 @ Los Angeles 8
Brandon: Some are saying this is an upset
waiting to happen; I don’t see it. The Canucks are too good, and I can
see Jonathan Quick collapsing from exhaustion in the middle of a game. Vancouver
James: Man, I cannot wait for this series.
I like the Kings’ talent, but I just can’t bring myself to choose a
team with Jonathan Quick in net (he’s decent, but …) against a team
with Roberto Luongo. Vancouver in 7.
This is going to be a tremendous series. LA are the comeback kids,
Vancouver has the future MVP and Luuuu. The Kings are damn good though
but the question is can Jon Quick carry them through? Not yet. Los
Angeles is just setting the table for next season anyhow. Vancouver
(4) Phoenix Coyotes vs. (5) Detroit Red Wings (full
Season series (Tied 2-2)
Detroit 2 @ Phoenix 3 (OT)
Dec. 14: Phoenix 2 @ Detroit 3
2: Detroit 4 @ Phoenix 1
Jan. 26: Phoenix 5 @ Detroit 4
Brandon: The series I’m most looking forward
to. Can the Coyotes pull off an unthinkable season, beating the Red
Wings in the first round? Will Jimmy Howard be magical? Will Tomas
Holmstrom play fair? Phoenix in 7.
James: I would feel bad for the Coyotes,
but then they rejected Throw the Snake. Now – as usual – I have empathy
for their fans, not the franchise. That being said, this should be a
great series because Phoenix is legit. I just like Detroit’s talent a
bit more. Detroit in 6.
bit of a homer pick, I admit, but for every great playoffs storyline
there’s a foil to make sure that story doesn’t go all Disney on us. Who
better than the Red Wings to go and foul everything up. Detroit in 6.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)