Apr 14, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
It’s that time of the year. Playoff hockey.
It’s the second
season for the NHL, when 16 teams try for the chance to hoist that most
glorious of prizes in all of sports: Lord Stanley’s Cup.
eight teams kick off the 2010 NHL playoffs:
Senators @ (4) Pittsburgh Penguins – 7:00 p.m. EDT (Versus, CBC, RDS)
If the Senators hope to have any kind of shot against
the Penguins, they’ll have to jump on them early in the series and shock
them with a game one win. The Penguins will be without Chris Kunitz
tonight, but Matt Cooke will be in the lineup after being knocked into
next week by Evander Kane.
(7) Philadelphia Flyers @ (2) New
Jersey Devils – 7:30 p.m. EDT (RIS, TSN, CSN-PH)
This is going to be one physical, drawn out series. Can
Brian Boucher keep the Flyers within striking distance, as they try to
crack the NHL’s stingiest defense? Can Ilya Kovalchuk justify his trade?
Will Dan Carillo ever shave that horrible mustache?
Detroit Red Wings @ (4) Phoenix Coyotes – 10:00 p.m. EDT (RIS, Versus,
Series – 0-0
It’s amazing how big
of an underdog the Coyotes are for this series. I guess it’s a case of
“well, you were good in the regular season but I’m not convinced yet”,
and unfortunately it’s true. When you’re facing the Red Wings, it’s
tough to say anyone going against them would be the favorite. Until the
(8) Colorado Avalanche @ (1) San Jose Sharks –
10:30 p.m. EDT (CBC, Versus, RDS, ALT)
Series – 0-0
pointed out that the Sharks typically don’t choke until the second
round of the playoffs, so at least they have a shot against Colorado,
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13