Apr 13, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
Here are some (really) quick hits as the league gears up for the first games that really matter. (Sorry, Rangers-Flyers, but that was just pathetic.)
Turco will NOT be a Dallas Star next season
Defending Big D relays various reports that the once-franchise goalie will definitely be wearing a new sweater next season. Want to know possible landing spots for the wacky, puck flinging goalie? I wrote a piece on where he may land about a month ago.
Tarik El-Bashir reports that the 100-point scorer is “ill.” Not sure how much of an impact that will have on his game, but it’s never good. Especially if he gets his teammates sick. NO HUGGING AFTER GOALS, GUYS!
The Pittsburgh Penguins signed Brent Johnson to a two year, $1.2 million contract extension today according to the team. Seems like a solid (but unspectacular) move, as his annual cap hit will be a paltry $600,000 per year. “Solid if unspectacular” is a description Penguins fans must get used to, because the team will be hard up against the cap for quite some time.
Detroit signs Andersson
The official Red Wings Twitter page announced that the team signed Joakim Andersson to a three year entry-level contract today. He’s probably going to end up being pretty good because he’s a Red Wing from Sweden. That’s how these things work out.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40