Apr 13, 2010, 6:49 PM EDT
According to 31% of the 272 players polled by Sports Illustrated, they believe the Washington Capitals will win the Stanley Cup. 27% of the players felt that the Chicago Blackhawks would be the Cup winners this year, something that pleased members of the Hawks.
“That’s the best respect you can get from anybody is when your peers vote for you,” Hawks center John Madden said.
If you needed proof that you have to take these things with a grain of salt, 18% of those polled said they thought the San Jose Sharks would come away with the big prize this year. Perhaps it’s true when players say they don’t spend a lot of time watching the other teams play.
The folks at EA Sports did things a bit more “scientific” by using their game, NHL 10, to simulate the playoffs and came away with a Chicago vs. Pittsburgh Cup Finals with the Blackhawks winning in seven games with virtual Duncan Keith winning the virtual Conn Smythe Trophy. The highlight to their playoff simulation, of course, was having the Sharks bowing out to the Avalanche in the first round in six games. Video games are funny (or tragic/insulting if you’re a Sharks fan) like that sometimes.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22