Apr 13, 2010, 6:49 PM EDT
According to 31% of the 272 players polled by Sports Illustrated, they believe the Washington Capitals will win the Stanley Cup. 27% of the players felt that the Chicago Blackhawks would be the Cup winners this year, something that pleased members of the Hawks.
“That’s the best respect you can get from anybody is when your peers vote for you,” Hawks center John Madden said.
If you needed proof that you have to take these things with a grain of salt, 18% of those polled said they thought the San Jose Sharks would come away with the big prize this year. Perhaps it’s true when players say they don’t spend a lot of time watching the other teams play.
The folks at EA Sports did things a bit more “scientific” by using their game, NHL 10, to simulate the playoffs and came away with a Chicago vs. Pittsburgh Cup Finals with the Blackhawks winning in seven games with virtual Duncan Keith winning the virtual Conn Smythe Trophy. The highlight to their playoff simulation, of course, was having the Sharks bowing out to the Avalanche in the first round in six games. Video games are funny (or tragic/insulting if you’re a Sharks fan) like that sometimes.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 21
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54