Apr 13, 2010, 6:49 PM EDT
According to 31% of the 272 players polled by Sports Illustrated, they believe the Washington Capitals will win the Stanley Cup. 27% of the players felt that the Chicago Blackhawks would be the Cup winners this year, something that pleased members of the Hawks.
“That’s the best respect you can get from anybody is when your peers vote for you,” Hawks center John Madden said.
If you needed proof that you have to take these things with a grain of salt, 18% of those polled said they thought the San Jose Sharks would come away with the big prize this year. Perhaps it’s true when players say they don’t spend a lot of time watching the other teams play.
The folks at EA Sports did things a bit more “scientific” by using their game, NHL 10, to simulate the playoffs and came away with a Chicago vs. Pittsburgh Cup Finals with the Blackhawks winning in seven games with virtual Duncan Keith winning the virtual Conn Smythe Trophy. The highlight to their playoff simulation, of course, was having the Sharks bowing out to the Avalanche in the first round in six games. Video games are funny (or tragic/insulting if you’re a Sharks fan) like that sometimes.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)