Apr 13, 2010, 5:09 PM EST
Thanks to James Mirtle of the Globe & Mail and The Fan 590 out of Toronto, we found out from Maple Leafs head coach Ron Wilson that he’s got his eyes on a captain for next year’s Maple Leaf squad and it’s none other than Sean Avery’s favorite zinger target, Dion Phaneuf.
“We wanted to let everything play out over time, let him get comfortable here, let him get to know everybody, everybody to get to know him, but right now I’d be perfectly comfortable with Dion as the captain of the team.”
That’s kind of a big deal for the still-rebuilding franchise as current captain Tomas Kaberle’s no-trade clause goes away now that Toronto has missed the playoffs for the fifth straight year. Kaberle, to his credit, is ready for anything.
“I’ll deal with whatever comes. I’ll do my best to be in my best shape. If it’s here, great, if not, I have to move on.”
Tough spot to be in for sure, but after rumors of being dealt for the last few seasons, perhaps Kaberle will be eager to get out of YYZ and off to another, more playoff ready location. After all, it’s not as if the Maple Leafs are lacking on defensemen with the likes of Phaneuf, Francois Beauchemin, Luke Schenn, Garnet Exelby, emerging youngster Carl Gunnarsson and the untradeable Jeff Finger. Dealing Kaberle for a top six forward should be a priority this summer for the Leafs.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)