Apr 13, 2010, 5:09 PM EDT
Thanks to James Mirtle of the Globe & Mail and The Fan 590 out of Toronto, we found out from Maple Leafs head coach Ron Wilson that he’s got his eyes on a captain for next year’s Maple Leaf squad and it’s none other than Sean Avery’s favorite zinger target, Dion Phaneuf.
“We wanted to let everything play out over time, let him get comfortable here, let him get to know everybody, everybody to get to know him, but right now I’d be perfectly comfortable with Dion as the captain of the team.”
That’s kind of a big deal for the still-rebuilding franchise as current captain Tomas Kaberle’s no-trade clause goes away now that Toronto has missed the playoffs for the fifth straight year. Kaberle, to his credit, is ready for anything.
“I’ll deal with whatever comes. I’ll do my best to be in my best shape. If it’s here, great, if not, I have to move on.”
Tough spot to be in for sure, but after rumors of being dealt for the last few seasons, perhaps Kaberle will be eager to get out of YYZ and off to another, more playoff ready location. After all, it’s not as if the Maple Leafs are lacking on defensemen with the likes of Phaneuf, Francois Beauchemin, Luke Schenn, Garnet Exelby, emerging youngster Carl Gunnarsson and the untradeable Jeff Finger. Dealing Kaberle for a top six forward should be a priority this summer for the Leafs.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)