Apr 13, 2010, 8:58 PM EDT
It’s only fair that a team that was beset by injuries all year long comes away with the top pick in the draft and that’s exactly what happened as the Edmonton Oilers came away the winners of the NHL Draft lottery. There were no surprises as everything held to form for the lottery and the Boston Bruins were the main benefactor of that landing the second overall pick courtesy of Toronto and the Phil Kessel trade.
The top of the 2010 NHL Draft in Los Angeles will look like this:
2. Boston (via Toronto)
5. New York Islanders
6. Tampa Bay
10. New York Rangers
13. Phoenix (via Calgary)
14. St. Louis
The beauty of the draft is that it now boils down to a huge debate on what the Oilers will do with their pick and if what Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press says is true, the Bruins may not be done dealing yet.
Doesn’t sound like Steve Tambellini will think seriously about trading No. 1 pick. Peter Chiarelli says he’ll try to move up.
This would lead you to believe that Peter Chiarelli isn’t a big fan of letting the Oilers and their wacky ways dictating who he can select at #2, and who can blame him? It also could mean that Chiarelli already has his guy in mind and doesn’t like fate getting in the way. If you’re curious about who could land where, outside of Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall your guess is as good as mine. If you need a hit list, the NHL has your hookup with the Central Scouting Bureau.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)