Apr 13, 2010, 8:58 PM EDT
It’s only fair that a team that was beset by injuries all year long comes away with the top pick in the draft and that’s exactly what happened as the Edmonton Oilers came away the winners of the NHL Draft lottery. There were no surprises as everything held to form for the lottery and the Boston Bruins were the main benefactor of that landing the second overall pick courtesy of Toronto and the Phil Kessel trade.
The top of the 2010 NHL Draft in Los Angeles will look like this:
2. Boston (via Toronto)
5. New York Islanders
6. Tampa Bay
10. New York Rangers
13. Phoenix (via Calgary)
14. St. Louis
The beauty of the draft is that it now boils down to a huge debate on what the Oilers will do with their pick and if what Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press says is true, the Bruins may not be done dealing yet.
Doesn’t sound like Steve Tambellini will think seriously about trading No. 1 pick. Peter Chiarelli says he’ll try to move up.
This would lead you to believe that Peter Chiarelli isn’t a big fan of letting the Oilers and their wacky ways dictating who he can select at #2, and who can blame him? It also could mean that Chiarelli already has his guy in mind and doesn’t like fate getting in the way. If you’re curious about who could land where, outside of Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall your guess is as good as mine. If you need a hit list, the NHL has your hookup with the Central Scouting Bureau.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)