Apr 13, 2010, 11:13 PM EST
In another effort that Colin Campbell can flex his muscles as he sees fit as the NHL disciplinarian, he’s stepped up once again to say that incidents in pre-game warm-ups will not be tolerated.
The threat of any confrontation in the pre-game warmup is of particular concern to the league. To the point, Campbell warned the 16 teams, if an altercation mars the series, the offending team could lose a roster spot on the night the incident takes place, meaning the disciplined team would be forced to play the game with 17 skaters and two goalies.
See, it’s stuff like this that makes me think that backup goalies should be designated fight-starters in pre-game altercations. What the league seems to be most worried about is the Devils seeking revenge on, who else, Dan Carcillo of the Flyers for a high-sticking incident that occurred the last time the two teams played. The players seemed to put their differences aside already, but we all know how these things go.
As for the league’s worries, Carcillo is probably a guy with a target on his back. Last year after the league warned against “message sending” late in games, Carcillo was suspended one game (and then head coach John Stevens fined $10,000) during the Flyers-Pens series last year for butt-ending Maxime Talbot towards the end of Game 1. Pittsburgh won that
series game handily 4-1.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)