Apr 13, 2010, 11:13 PM EDT
In another effort that Colin Campbell can flex his muscles as he sees fit as the NHL disciplinarian, he’s stepped up once again to say that incidents in pre-game warm-ups will not be tolerated.
The threat of any confrontation in the pre-game warmup is of particular concern to the league. To the point, Campbell warned the 16 teams, if an altercation mars the series, the offending team could lose a roster spot on the night the incident takes place, meaning the disciplined team would be forced to play the game with 17 skaters and two goalies.
See, it’s stuff like this that makes me think that backup goalies should be designated fight-starters in pre-game altercations. What the league seems to be most worried about is the Devils seeking revenge on, who else, Dan Carcillo of the Flyers for a high-sticking incident that occurred the last time the two teams played. The players seemed to put their differences aside already, but we all know how these things go.
As for the league’s worries, Carcillo is probably a guy with a target on his back. Last year after the league warned against “message sending” late in games, Carcillo was suspended one game (and then head coach John Stevens fined $10,000) during the Flyers-Pens series last year for butt-ending Maxime Talbot towards the end of Game 1. Pittsburgh won that
series game handily 4-1.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)