Apr 13, 2010, 8:07 PM EDT
Are you ready for some draft lottery?! Yes, there’s a fair bit of drama to this year’s lottery, mostly thanks to the Phil Kessel trade and what will happen with Toronto’s pick that belongs to the Boston Bruins. If you’ve missed any of our coverage from the past week, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered here and here.
Starting fresh at 8:00 PM ET you’ll want to keep refreshing with us here to get thoughts on the lottery process itself, one that Larry Brooks of the New York Post is eager to change.
There should be one standard and one standard alone for inclusion in the lottery for first overall, and that’s failure to make the playoffs. The 14 non-qualifiers should have an equal chance for the first selection in a sweepstakes that would remove the incentive for teams to lose down the stretch to fall as low in the standings as possible.
That would make it a bit more like the NBA Draft lottery but much more insane and as a fan of utter chaos, I approve.
- Ouch: Wild suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)