Apr 13, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
You haven’t won a Cup since 1993 when Patrick Roy lead the Montreal Canadiens to their last of a billion (rough estimate) Stanley Cups. The last Canadian team to make the Stanley Cup finals were the Ottawa Senators, whose high-end offensive attack was smothered by the Anaheim Ducks in 2006-07.
Year after year, the question above the border is: will a Canadian team finally break the “curse” and bring the silver chalice to its “rightful home”? This time around, the three teams who can fulfill that wish are the Vancouver Canucks (third seed in the West), Ottawa Senators (fifth seed in the East) and Montreal Canadiens (eighth seed in the East). To me, it comes down to the Canucks, but let’s break down the chances for each Canadian team. Eh? (Ugh.)
Vancouver: Like I said, they have the best chance of the Canadian teams. In fact, they have a pretty good shot, period. While they lack the flash of the Blackhawks and the firepower of the Sharks, the Canucks have all-world goalie Roberto Luongo, scoring champion Henrik Sedin along with his twin(ger) Daniel and some great rugged players such as Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows. Still, the West is brutal – they might not even make it to the second round (and the sick thing is, it wouldn’t be all that shameful if that happened)..
Ottawa: If you didn’t pay attention to the 2009-10 season, you’d say that the Senators have the toughest task of any first round team: they must beat defending champions Pittsburgh. Still, the Penguins aren’t at their height right now, so you never know. And, if the Capitals are upset, then there aren’t really many “scary” teams left in the East …
Montreal: Which brings us to the Habs. Honestly, I don’t think they have a chance at all. Sorry.
That being said, if the Canadian teams can make it to the second round … well, you never know. Overall, though, my bet is that if a team wins one for Maple Syrup Land, it will be those plucky Canucks.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)