Apr 12, 2010, 7:30 AM EST
It’s bee a season of goodbye’s and possible farewells. Keith Tkachuk
is hanging up the skates, and we’re facing the distinct possibility of
Mike Modano retiring this summer as well.
What about Teemu
The future hall of fame forward has spent the majority of
his career with the Anaheim Ducks, after starting with the Winnipeg
Jets and take a brief tour of Colorado in 2003. He finished with 27
goals this season in 54 games, for a total of 606 career goals in the
It wasn’t exactly the emotional rollercoaster that Modano
went through in Dallas and Minnesota, but Selanne was greeted with an
outpouring of support from Ducks fans in the final game of the season.
After the game, he was asked if this was it:
it’s smart to take a little time to think about it,” Selanne
said before the Ducks’ 7-2 victory over Edmonton closed
out a disappointing season that will not include the playoffs for the
first time in five years.
“If you had asked me two months ago, it
would have been easy to think,
‘This is it.’ But the way we have played since then (23-14-4 in the
second half), after I got healthy, it’s been so much fun.”
finished the season looking like the sniper he’s always been, and
showed that when healthy he is still one of the most dangerous players
in the NHL when he has the puck.
He has had trouble staying
healthy the past few seasons, and you have to think that takes its toll
on a player nearing 40. Like Modano, expect Selanne to take his time
making a decision.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 8
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 35
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 18
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32