Apr 12, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
My lord, Twitter, you’ve done it again.
I know it’s weird and inaccurate to personify a non-thinking social network that more or less serves as a glorified Facebook Status Update Web site, but sometimes it’s difficult to process the oddness that the Internet can offer. Odd is exactly how I’d describe the currently-building #ThrowtheSnake movement.
Forgive me for any errors here, but from what I can get gather, the idea originated as a joke-based mission to counter the Detroit Red Wings’ long standing tradition of a fan throwing an octopus onto the ice. Five for Howling blogger Travis Hair joked that it would be funny to throw a snake onto the ice as Arizona’s answer to the octopus. If you know anything about how Twitter trends explode (particularly when something meme-heavy occurs), well – that’s exactly what happened. (Note: Travis gives @felixpotvin much of the credit for the Twitter explosion. My head hurts.)
Here are a few of the (not too offensive, profane or euphemistic) highlights from the Twitter movement as of this moment. Hockey fans are weird. This post might be updated with other entries. Maybe.
DownGoesBrown: Detroit chose the octopus because each leg symbolized a playoff win. Maybe a snake would be more appropriate for the Leafs. #ThrowTheSnake
hockeenight: #throwthesnake so Bertuzzi won’t be the only one out there.
DownGoesBrown: It will be nice for Arizona sports fans to see a snake-related throw that isn’t intercepted. #JakePlummer #ThrowTheSnake
coreygoodie: @wyshynski You’re forgetting about Jake “The Snake” Roberts #ThrowTheSnake
starsscene New movie idea: Snakes On A Red Wings Goalie #throwthesnake (Editor’s note: This is the only publishable “Snakes on a Plane” reference I’ve seen. Here’s a cleaned up version of the joke: Tapeleg: If he takes it to Detroit, would we have MF snakes on a MF plane? #throwthesnake)
criseyde: Because Kerry Fraser just retired, leaving a serpent-shaped hole in the NHL. #ThrowTheSnake
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 13
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 8
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional