Apr 12, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
My lord, Twitter, you’ve done it again.
I know it’s weird and inaccurate to personify a non-thinking social network that more or less serves as a glorified Facebook Status Update Web site, but sometimes it’s difficult to process the oddness that the Internet can offer. Odd is exactly how I’d describe the currently-building #ThrowtheSnake movement.
Forgive me for any errors here, but from what I can get gather, the idea originated as a joke-based mission to counter the Detroit Red Wings’ long standing tradition of a fan throwing an octopus onto the ice. Five for Howling blogger Travis Hair joked that it would be funny to throw a snake onto the ice as Arizona’s answer to the octopus. If you know anything about how Twitter trends explode (particularly when something meme-heavy occurs), well – that’s exactly what happened. (Note: Travis gives @felixpotvin much of the credit for the Twitter explosion. My head hurts.)
Here are a few of the (not too offensive, profane or euphemistic) highlights from the Twitter movement as of this moment. Hockey fans are weird. This post might be updated with other entries. Maybe.
DownGoesBrown: Detroit chose the octopus because each leg symbolized a playoff win. Maybe a snake would be more appropriate for the Leafs. #ThrowTheSnake
hockeenight: #throwthesnake so Bertuzzi won’t be the only one out there.
DownGoesBrown: It will be nice for Arizona sports fans to see a snake-related throw that isn’t intercepted. #JakePlummer #ThrowTheSnake
coreygoodie: @wyshynski You’re forgetting about Jake “The Snake” Roberts #ThrowTheSnake
starsscene New movie idea: Snakes On A Red Wings Goalie #throwthesnake (Editor’s note: This is the only publishable “Snakes on a Plane” reference I’ve seen. Here’s a cleaned up version of the joke: Tapeleg: If he takes it to Detroit, would we have MF snakes on a MF plane? #throwthesnake)
criseyde: Because Kerry Fraser just retired, leaving a serpent-shaped hole in the NHL. #ThrowTheSnake
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)