Apr 12, 2010, 12:20 PM EST
My lord, Twitter, you’ve done it again.
I know it’s weird and inaccurate to personify a non-thinking social network that more or less serves as a glorified Facebook Status Update Web site, but sometimes it’s difficult to process the oddness that the Internet can offer. Odd is exactly how I’d describe the currently-building #ThrowtheSnake movement.
Forgive me for any errors here, but from what I can get gather, the idea originated as a joke-based mission to counter the Detroit Red Wings’ long standing tradition of a fan throwing an octopus onto the ice. Five for Howling blogger Travis Hair joked that it would be funny to throw a snake onto the ice as Arizona’s answer to the octopus. If you know anything about how Twitter trends explode (particularly when something meme-heavy occurs), well – that’s exactly what happened. (Note: Travis gives @felixpotvin much of the credit for the Twitter explosion. My head hurts.)
Here are a few of the (not too offensive, profane or euphemistic) highlights from the Twitter movement as of this moment. Hockey fans are weird. This post might be updated with other entries. Maybe.
DownGoesBrown: Detroit chose the octopus because each leg symbolized a playoff win. Maybe a snake would be more appropriate for the Leafs. #ThrowTheSnake
hockeenight: #throwthesnake so Bertuzzi won’t be the only one out there.
DownGoesBrown: It will be nice for Arizona sports fans to see a snake-related throw that isn’t intercepted. #JakePlummer #ThrowTheSnake
coreygoodie: @wyshynski You’re forgetting about Jake “The Snake” Roberts #ThrowTheSnake
starsscene New movie idea: Snakes On A Red Wings Goalie #throwthesnake (Editor’s note: This is the only publishable “Snakes on a Plane” reference I’ve seen. Here’s a cleaned up version of the joke: Tapeleg: If he takes it to Detroit, would we have MF snakes on a MF plane? #throwthesnake)
criseyde: Because Kerry Fraser just retired, leaving a serpent-shaped hole in the NHL. #ThrowTheSnake
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)