Apr 12, 2010, 6:00 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers finished their season in somewhat expected
fashion Sunday, falling to Anaheim in the final game of the 7-2. The
team looked wholly disinterested and seemed to be more concerned with
just finishing the season and heading out to the golf course, then
attempting to close out the season with any form of dignity.
out we had no idea exactly how ready some of these players were to move
After the game, Mark Spector of Sportsnet was able get some
very revealing and candid thoughts from defenseman Sheldon Souray, who
is publicly demanding a trade.
“I do,” Souray
repeated, sounding a little disappointed at the
admission. “Yes, I do want a trade.”
“It’s not a players thing.
It’s not a fans thing or a city thing. It’s a
management thing,” Souray said. “They’ve given up on me, and it’s a
Souray would go on to say that
‘management’ has abandoned him and that he wishes to have no further
contact with team officials, even when he is traded.
accuses the team “management’ of forcing Souray to play when he had not
fully recovered from injury, leading to further injury on his shoulder
that caused him to miss 55 games.
There’s no doubt that Souray
would have been traded at the deadline had he not suffered a broken hand
and had to be hospitalized with an infection in late February. Now,
there is an absolute certainty that he will be traded. This is not the
sort of damaged relationship that can be repaired, and Souray is a
valuable player that can yield decent assets in a trade.
some sentiment that Souray hasn’t been completely innocent in this
affair, however his accusations of being forced to play through injury
are extremely serious. The knock on Souray is that he is too injury
prone to be considered a top-level defensemen and if there’s a chance
that the Oilers management contributed in any way to his struggles then
it will be interesting to see what value he commands from other teams.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 8
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)