Apr 12, 2010, 6:00 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers finished their season in somewhat expected
fashion Sunday, falling to Anaheim in the final game of the 7-2. The
team looked wholly disinterested and seemed to be more concerned with
just finishing the season and heading out to the golf course, then
attempting to close out the season with any form of dignity.
out we had no idea exactly how ready some of these players were to move
After the game, Mark Spector of Sportsnet was able get some
very revealing and candid thoughts from defenseman Sheldon Souray, who
is publicly demanding a trade.
“I do,” Souray
repeated, sounding a little disappointed at the
admission. “Yes, I do want a trade.”
“It’s not a players thing.
It’s not a fans thing or a city thing. It’s a
management thing,” Souray said. “They’ve given up on me, and it’s a
Souray would go on to say that
‘management’ has abandoned him and that he wishes to have no further
contact with team officials, even when he is traded.
accuses the team “management’ of forcing Souray to play when he had not
fully recovered from injury, leading to further injury on his shoulder
that caused him to miss 55 games.
There’s no doubt that Souray
would have been traded at the deadline had he not suffered a broken hand
and had to be hospitalized with an infection in late February. Now,
there is an absolute certainty that he will be traded. This is not the
sort of damaged relationship that can be repaired, and Souray is a
valuable player that can yield decent assets in a trade.
some sentiment that Souray hasn’t been completely innocent in this
affair, however his accusations of being forced to play through injury
are extremely serious. The knock on Souray is that he is too injury
prone to be considered a top-level defensemen and if there’s a chance
that the Oilers management contributed in any way to his struggles then
it will be interesting to see what value he commands from other teams.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 16
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 20
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 57
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car