Apr 12, 2010, 6:00 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers finished their season in somewhat expected
fashion Sunday, falling to Anaheim in the final game of the 7-2. The
team looked wholly disinterested and seemed to be more concerned with
just finishing the season and heading out to the golf course, then
attempting to close out the season with any form of dignity.
out we had no idea exactly how ready some of these players were to move
After the game, Mark Spector of Sportsnet was able get some
very revealing and candid thoughts from defenseman Sheldon Souray, who
is publicly demanding a trade.
“I do,” Souray
repeated, sounding a little disappointed at the
admission. “Yes, I do want a trade.”
“It’s not a players thing.
It’s not a fans thing or a city thing. It’s a
management thing,” Souray said. “They’ve given up on me, and it’s a
Souray would go on to say that
‘management’ has abandoned him and that he wishes to have no further
contact with team officials, even when he is traded.
accuses the team “management’ of forcing Souray to play when he had not
fully recovered from injury, leading to further injury on his shoulder
that caused him to miss 55 games.
There’s no doubt that Souray
would have been traded at the deadline had he not suffered a broken hand
and had to be hospitalized with an infection in late February. Now,
there is an absolute certainty that he will be traded. This is not the
sort of damaged relationship that can be repaired, and Souray is a
valuable player that can yield decent assets in a trade.
some sentiment that Souray hasn’t been completely innocent in this
affair, however his accusations of being forced to play through injury
are extremely serious. The knock on Souray is that he is too injury
prone to be considered a top-level defensemen and if there’s a chance
that the Oilers management contributed in any way to his struggles then
it will be interesting to see what value he commands from other teams.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)