Apr 12, 2010, 6:00 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers finished their season in somewhat expected
fashion Sunday, falling to Anaheim in the final game of the 7-2. The
team looked wholly disinterested and seemed to be more concerned with
just finishing the season and heading out to the golf course, then
attempting to close out the season with any form of dignity.
out we had no idea exactly how ready some of these players were to move
After the game, Mark Spector of Sportsnet was able get some
very revealing and candid thoughts from defenseman Sheldon Souray, who
is publicly demanding a trade.
“I do,” Souray
repeated, sounding a little disappointed at the
admission. “Yes, I do want a trade.”
“It’s not a players thing.
It’s not a fans thing or a city thing. It’s a
management thing,” Souray said. “They’ve given up on me, and it’s a
Souray would go on to say that
‘management’ has abandoned him and that he wishes to have no further
contact with team officials, even when he is traded.
accuses the team “management’ of forcing Souray to play when he had not
fully recovered from injury, leading to further injury on his shoulder
that caused him to miss 55 games.
There’s no doubt that Souray
would have been traded at the deadline had he not suffered a broken hand
and had to be hospitalized with an infection in late February. Now,
there is an absolute certainty that he will be traded. This is not the
sort of damaged relationship that can be repaired, and Souray is a
valuable player that can yield decent assets in a trade.
some sentiment that Souray hasn’t been completely innocent in this
affair, however his accusations of being forced to play through injury
are extremely serious. The knock on Souray is that he is too injury
prone to be considered a top-level defensemen and if there’s a chance
that the Oilers management contributed in any way to his struggles then
it will be interesting to see what value he commands from other teams.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)