Apr 12, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
It was supposed to be Marian Hossa. Or, maybe, Jay Bouwmeester. Instead, after looking at the 2009-10 season, is there really any doubt that the Colorado Avalanche’s choice to sign Craig Anderson stands as the best move in last July’s free agent spree?
The Denver Post reports that the former Florida Panthers backup broke Patrick Roy’s franchise single season record with a Brodeur-like 71 starts. He bested the legendary goalie’s mark of 65, although the Post notes that Anderson (38 wins) fell two short of Roy’s record for wins in a season.
Still, when you’re approaching Roy’s status in areas that are more legitimate than “most bizarre lapses in puck handling judgment” or “best Jeremy Roenick put-downs,” it’s a safe bet that you’re doing pretty well for yourself. Anderson went 38-25-7 this season with a sterling 92% save percentage and a 2.63 goals against average. Pretty good for a goalie who was once known mainly for ogling Ice Girls.
When you consider the fact that he signed a measly 2 year, $3.625 million contract (quite a bit less in total than the average annual cap hit for Bouwmeester and Hossa), I challenge you to find a better bang-for-the-buck move from July. Really, though, you don’t have to even qualify it: Anderson could be the best free agent move from a pure team impact standpoint.
The best news for Colorado Avalanche fans: Anderson will be able to grow with the young team for one more super-cheap year at only a little more than $1.8 million. Fans of the 14 teams who missed the playoffs should be asking themselves: will my team find the next Craig Anderson?
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights