Apr 12, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
This past Friday, various Pittsburgh-centric bloggers were given the chance to take a tour of the Penguins’ 2010-11 home, the Consol Energy Center. Still in the construction process, the arena is the successor to the near-50-years-old Mellon Arena.
Seth Rorabaugh of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (one of the invitees) wrote this in his great Empty Netters blog.
“We’ll admit it. We’re a little upset at the prospect of having to leave Mellon Arena. It feels like a second home to anyone who spends a significant amount of time there. Granted, that second home has rats, asbestos, leaks and distinctive odors in every nook and cranny. But they’re our rats, asbestos, leaks and distinctive odors dangit.”
Still, regardless of the pangs of nostalgia, it seems like everyone who toured the fancy new arena left impressed. Mondesi’s House pointed to the arena as an example of the Penguins’ detail-oriented approach compared to their NFL overloads the Pittsburgh Steelers. Sean Leahy produced a great “photo expedition” of the site for Puck Daddy. The hilarious crew at Pensblog even compared the venue to Jurassic Park.
Finally, I’ll leave you with this take from SBN Penguins blog Pensburgh.
In a nutshell, the Consol Energy Center is everything it’s cracked up to be. It’s going to be state-of-the-art, provide excellent views from actual comfortable seats, it’ll have televisions everywhere for replays, concourses with sufficient room to walk, enough open space to not feel cramped. The Pens will be able to offer fans a better game experience with the big jumbotron. The Penguins did their research and from everything I could see, they got it right. We’ll all miss the Igloo when she’s gone, and it won’t be the same, but in so many ways things are about to be a lot better.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)