Apr 12, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
This past Friday, various Pittsburgh-centric bloggers were given the chance to take a tour of the Penguins’ 2010-11 home, the Consol Energy Center. Still in the construction process, the arena is the successor to the near-50-years-old Mellon Arena.
Seth Rorabaugh of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (one of the invitees) wrote this in his great Empty Netters blog.
“We’ll admit it. We’re a little upset at the prospect of having to leave Mellon Arena. It feels like a second home to anyone who spends a significant amount of time there. Granted, that second home has rats, asbestos, leaks and distinctive odors in every nook and cranny. But they’re our rats, asbestos, leaks and distinctive odors dangit.”
Still, regardless of the pangs of nostalgia, it seems like everyone who toured the fancy new arena left impressed. Mondesi’s House pointed to the arena as an example of the Penguins’ detail-oriented approach compared to their NFL overloads the Pittsburgh Steelers. Sean Leahy produced a great “photo expedition” of the site for Puck Daddy. The hilarious crew at Pensblog even compared the venue to Jurassic Park.
Finally, I’ll leave you with this take from SBN Penguins blog Pensburgh.
In a nutshell, the Consol Energy Center is everything it’s cracked up to be. It’s going to be state-of-the-art, provide excellent views from actual comfortable seats, it’ll have televisions everywhere for replays, concourses with sufficient room to walk, enough open space to not feel cramped. The Pens will be able to offer fans a better game experience with the big jumbotron. The Penguins did their research and from everything I could see, they got it right. We’ll all miss the Igloo when she’s gone, and it won’t be the same, but in so many ways things are about to be a lot better.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)