Apr 12, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
With one half of the NHL moving on the postseason, and focusing on their hopeful playoff success the rest of the
losers NHL will turn their collective minds to the NHL Entry Draft.
The first step in this in the draft lottery, to determine the final draft position of the bottom 14 teams. It gives every team at least of chance of moving up four spots, and some teams even have a chance of getting the top pick. This is to discourage teams — supposedly — from tanking at the end of the season as they might not get the top pick anyways. I doubt any other team could have been as bad as the Oilers if they tried.
Here is the preliminary, and unofficial, draft order and the chances each team has of winning the lottery.
The lottery will be held tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 8 p.m. EDT and will be carried live on Versus in the United States; on TSN in Canada.
Here are the basic parameters of the lottery:
-Teams may only move up a maximum of four spots; only the top (bottom) five teams have a chance of winning the number one overall pick.
-Teams may only drop one spot. So: if St. Louis wins the lottery (by some miracle), then the highest they can draft is 10th. Every team from 10-14 drops down one spot.
Generally, the top team in the lottery wins anyways. Although as bad as their season has gone, I wouldn’t doubt the Oilers lose this as well. Not a bad thing, exactly, since the top two picks in the draft are pretty much a toss up between Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin.
Someone made a good note yesterday; odd that we keep seeing the same teams at the bottom of this draft over, and over, and over again. So much for rebuilding through the draft.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)