Apr 11, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
When Alex Ovechkin scored an empty net goal with .2 seconds left in the Capitals’ last regular season against the Penguins, I jokingly asked if he “hooked the tights”* on the Richard trophy.
* – This is a professional wrestling reference. Yes, I am lame.
Anyway, there’s more than a little humor to the fact that Steven Stamkos scored his Richard-tying goal #51 with an empty-netter and that Crosby (a little less than 9 minutes left in the third period) could very well take the trophy with an empty-netter himself.
At the moment, though, it’s Crosby: 51, Stamkos: 51 and Ovechkin: 50. We’ll follow the rest of the Penguins to keep you updated on who wins the goal scoring trophy.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5