Apr 11, 2010, 7:30 PM EST
When Alex Ovechkin scored an empty net goal with .2 seconds left in the Capitals’ last regular season against the Penguins, I jokingly asked if he “hooked the tights”* on the Richard trophy.
* – This is a professional wrestling reference. Yes, I am lame.
Anyway, there’s more than a little humor to the fact that Steven Stamkos scored his Richard-tying goal #51 with an empty-netter and that Crosby (a little less than 9 minutes left in the third period) could very well take the trophy with an empty-netter himself.
At the moment, though, it’s Crosby: 51, Stamkos: 51 and Ovechkin: 50. We’ll follow the rest of the Penguins to keep you updated on who wins the goal scoring trophy.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)