Apr 11, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
Today might be a bit misleading from an “injuries” standpoint since there might be players who are held out of the game because both teams already clinched their position in the playoffs. The Capitals already guaranteed themselves the number one seed in the East while Montreal’s loss yesterday assured Boston’s place as the number six seed (although it still remains to be seen whether the Bruins will play against the currently second place Devils and the third place Sabres).
First, here are the players who are legitimately injured for both teams, according to NHL.com.
Injury report: Savard is questionable to play again this season for Boston as he battles post-concussion symptoms. Defensemen Andrew Ference (groin), Mark Stuart (finger) and Dennis Seidenberg (forearm) are also out of the lineup. … Washington is missing forward Tyler Sloan (upper body) and defenseman Milan Jurcina (sports hernia).
That being said, don’t be surprised if there are some big names getting a breather during the last game of the season.
The Boston Globe reports that backup-turned-starter Tuukka Rask might get some rest in favor of former Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas. No word on which Washington Capitals goalie will play yet.
One player you shouldn’t expect to see in the press box is Alex Ovechkin, though. The Russian superstar is in an ultra-tight race for the Rocket Richard Trophy at 50 goals with Steven Stamkos (50) and Sidney Crosby (49). He also needs quite the game to win the Art Ross Trophy because Henrik Sedin’s 4 assists gave the Swede a 112-109 lead on Ovechkin.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner