Apr 11, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
Today might be a bit misleading from an “injuries” standpoint since there might be players who are held out of the game because both teams already clinched their position in the playoffs. The Capitals already guaranteed themselves the number one seed in the East while Montreal’s loss yesterday assured Boston’s place as the number six seed (although it still remains to be seen whether the Bruins will play against the currently second place Devils and the third place Sabres).
First, here are the players who are legitimately injured for both teams, according to NHL.com.
Injury report: Savard is questionable to play again this season for Boston as he battles post-concussion symptoms. Defensemen Andrew Ference (groin), Mark Stuart (finger) and Dennis Seidenberg (forearm) are also out of the lineup. … Washington is missing forward Tyler Sloan (upper body) and defenseman Milan Jurcina (sports hernia).
That being said, don’t be surprised if there are some big names getting a breather during the last game of the season.
The Boston Globe reports that backup-turned-starter Tuukka Rask might get some rest in favor of former Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas. No word on which Washington Capitals goalie will play yet.
One player you shouldn’t expect to see in the press box is Alex Ovechkin, though. The Russian superstar is in an ultra-tight race for the Rocket Richard Trophy at 50 goals with Steven Stamkos (50) and Sidney Crosby (49). He also needs quite the game to win the Art Ross Trophy because Henrik Sedin’s 4 assists gave the Swede a 112-109 lead on Ovechkin.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 15
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights