Apr 11, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
Today might be a bit misleading from an “injuries” standpoint since there might be players who are held out of the game because both teams already clinched their position in the playoffs. The Capitals already guaranteed themselves the number one seed in the East while Montreal’s loss yesterday assured Boston’s place as the number six seed (although it still remains to be seen whether the Bruins will play against the currently second place Devils and the third place Sabres).
First, here are the players who are legitimately injured for both teams, according to NHL.com.
Injury report: Savard is questionable to play again this season for Boston as he battles post-concussion symptoms. Defensemen Andrew Ference (groin), Mark Stuart (finger) and Dennis Seidenberg (forearm) are also out of the lineup. … Washington is missing forward Tyler Sloan (upper body) and defenseman Milan Jurcina (sports hernia).
That being said, don’t be surprised if there are some big names getting a breather during the last game of the season.
The Boston Globe reports that backup-turned-starter Tuukka Rask might get some rest in favor of former Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas. No word on which Washington Capitals goalie will play yet.
One player you shouldn’t expect to see in the press box is Alex Ovechkin, though. The Russian superstar is in an ultra-tight race for the Rocket Richard Trophy at 50 goals with Steven Stamkos (50) and Sidney Crosby (49). He also needs quite the game to win the Art Ross Trophy because Henrik Sedin’s 4 assists gave the Swede a 112-109 lead on Ovechkin.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)