Apr 10, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
I’m not one who specifically believes in karma, but it does seem that things sometimes just have a way of working themselves out. Ever since Matt Cooke escaped penalty and suspension for ending Marc Savard’s season, it seems fans have just been waiting for when the rest of the NHL gets their payback.
Especially since the Boston Bruins passed up their own chance.
Now, I’m not saying that I would condone another cheap, dirty or dangerous hit on Cooke. But perhaps a good lesson could be learned the hard way.
I never thought it would be Evander Kane that would provide it.
Early in the second period, Kane was along the near boards in his own and passed the puck up ice. Cooke comes by and give Kane a rough shove from behind into the boards; nothing extremely bad but it was enough to rile up Kane. They dropped the gloves, and Kane immediately unleashed a furious right hand that grazed Cooke’s face and into his shoulder pad.
Kane reloaded, and landed the knockout punch of the season.
The officials immediately called for medical assistance as Cooke laid on the ice. A stretcher was brought on on the ice, but Cooke was able to get up and leave under his own power.
We hope Cooke is fine, especially if he has a concussion. I know that sounds odd, but I wish injury on no player.
Not even Todd Bertuzzi.
Maybe Marty McSorley.
Screencap courtesy of FSN SportSouth.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)