Apr 10, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
I’m not one who specifically believes in karma, but it does seem that things sometimes just have a way of working themselves out. Ever since Matt Cooke escaped penalty and suspension for ending Marc Savard’s season, it seems fans have just been waiting for when the rest of the NHL gets their payback.
Especially since the Boston Bruins passed up their own chance.
Now, I’m not saying that I would condone another cheap, dirty or dangerous hit on Cooke. But perhaps a good lesson could be learned the hard way.
I never thought it would be Evander Kane that would provide it.
Early in the second period, Kane was along the near boards in his own and passed the puck up ice. Cooke comes by and give Kane a rough shove from behind into the boards; nothing extremely bad but it was enough to rile up Kane. They dropped the gloves, and Kane immediately unleashed a furious right hand that grazed Cooke’s face and into his shoulder pad.
Kane reloaded, and landed the knockout punch of the season.
The officials immediately called for medical assistance as Cooke laid on the ice. A stretcher was brought on on the ice, but Cooke was able to get up and leave under his own power.
We hope Cooke is fine, especially if he has a concussion. I know that sounds odd, but I wish injury on no player.
Not even Todd Bertuzzi.
Maybe Marty McSorley.
Screencap courtesy of FSN SportSouth.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup