Apr 10, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
I’m not one who specifically believes in karma, but it does seem that things sometimes just have a way of working themselves out. Ever since Matt Cooke escaped penalty and suspension for ending Marc Savard’s season, it seems fans have just been waiting for when the rest of the NHL gets their payback.
Especially since the Boston Bruins passed up their own chance.
Now, I’m not saying that I would condone another cheap, dirty or dangerous hit on Cooke. But perhaps a good lesson could be learned the hard way.
I never thought it would be Evander Kane that would provide it.
Early in the second period, Kane was along the near boards in his own and passed the puck up ice. Cooke comes by and give Kane a rough shove from behind into the boards; nothing extremely bad but it was enough to rile up Kane. They dropped the gloves, and Kane immediately unleashed a furious right hand that grazed Cooke’s face and into his shoulder pad.
Kane reloaded, and landed the knockout punch of the season.
The officials immediately called for medical assistance as Cooke laid on the ice. A stretcher was brought on on the ice, but Cooke was able to get up and leave under his own power.
We hope Cooke is fine, especially if he has a concussion. I know that sounds odd, but I wish injury on no player.
Not even Todd Bertuzzi.
Maybe Marty McSorley.
Screencap courtesy of FSN SportSouth.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 1
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)