Apr 10, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
I’m not one who specifically believes in karma, but it does seem that things sometimes just have a way of working themselves out. Ever since Matt Cooke escaped penalty and suspension for ending Marc Savard’s season, it seems fans have just been waiting for when the rest of the NHL gets their payback.
Especially since the Boston Bruins passed up their own chance.
Now, I’m not saying that I would condone another cheap, dirty or dangerous hit on Cooke. But perhaps a good lesson could be learned the hard way.
I never thought it would be Evander Kane that would provide it.
Early in the second period, Kane was along the near boards in his own and passed the puck up ice. Cooke comes by and give Kane a rough shove from behind into the boards; nothing extremely bad but it was enough to rile up Kane. They dropped the gloves, and Kane immediately unleashed a furious right hand that grazed Cooke’s face and into his shoulder pad.
Kane reloaded, and landed the knockout punch of the season.
The officials immediately called for medical assistance as Cooke laid on the ice. A stretcher was brought on on the ice, but Cooke was able to get up and leave under his own power.
We hope Cooke is fine, especially if he has a concussion. I know that sounds odd, but I wish injury on no player.
Not even Todd Bertuzzi.
Maybe Marty McSorley.
Screencap courtesy of FSN SportSouth.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)