Apr 10, 2010, 8:49 PM EST
I’m not one who specifically believes in karma, but it does seem that things sometimes just have a way of working themselves out. Ever since Matt Cooke escaped penalty and suspension for ending Marc Savard’s season, it seems fans have just been waiting for when the rest of the NHL gets their payback.
Especially since the Boston Bruins passed up their own chance.
Now, I’m not saying that I would condone another cheap, dirty or dangerous hit on Cooke. But perhaps a good lesson could be learned the hard way.
I never thought it would be Evander Kane that would provide it.
Early in the second period, Kane was along the near boards in his own and passed the puck up ice. Cooke comes by and give Kane a rough shove from behind into the boards; nothing extremely bad but it was enough to rile up Kane. They dropped the gloves, and Kane immediately unleashed a furious right hand that grazed Cooke’s face and into his shoulder pad.
Kane reloaded, and landed the knockout punch of the season.
The officials immediately called for medical assistance as Cooke laid on the ice. A stretcher was brought on on the ice, but Cooke was able to get up and leave under his own power.
We hope Cooke is fine, especially if he has a concussion. I know that sounds odd, but I wish injury on no player.
Not even Todd Bertuzzi.
Maybe Marty McSorley.
Screencap courtesy of FSN SportSouth.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)