Apr 10, 2010, 9:42 PM EST
Francis of the Ottawa Sun has some interesting notes tonight from a
Calgary Flames staffer who has come forward to shed some light on the
front office situation in Calgary.
“Darryl and Brent don’t even talk,” said the staffer.
“It’s so dysfunctional. Darryl has been in the league as a respected
player, coach and GM forever, and he knows more about the NHL than
anyone in the organization. He saved this franchise. But his ego, or
lack of social graces or whatever, has reached a point where the people
who can help him find him totally unapproachable. That includes Brent.
He doesn’t listen. It’s a reign of terror. Everyone is scared of him.”
It certainly makes sense, as Sutter (the G.M.) decided to change
directions in midseason and traded away a number of veterans and
important defensive help in an effort to somehow turn the Flames into a
higher scoring team. Trading for nearly 25% of the Toronto Maple Leafs
roster wasn’t exactly the perfect decision, as the Flames were worse
down the stretch than they were before the trades.
I can only guess that brother Brent was left to just make do with
these seemingly random roster decisions, and the Flames played like a
team without a clear direction from the front office.
There’s no question that Darryl Sutter is likely on his way out as
general manager. Could his brother be fired, yet Brent remain as coach?
I wonder what Christmas dinners will be like at the Sutter farm next
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)