Apr 10, 2010, 9:42 PM EDT
Francis of the Ottawa Sun has some interesting notes tonight from a
Calgary Flames staffer who has come forward to shed some light on the
front office situation in Calgary.
“Darryl and Brent don’t even talk,” said the staffer.
“It’s so dysfunctional. Darryl has been in the league as a respected
player, coach and GM forever, and he knows more about the NHL than
anyone in the organization. He saved this franchise. But his ego, or
lack of social graces or whatever, has reached a point where the people
who can help him find him totally unapproachable. That includes Brent.
He doesn’t listen. It’s a reign of terror. Everyone is scared of him.”
It certainly makes sense, as Sutter (the G.M.) decided to change
directions in midseason and traded away a number of veterans and
important defensive help in an effort to somehow turn the Flames into a
higher scoring team. Trading for nearly 25% of the Toronto Maple Leafs
roster wasn’t exactly the perfect decision, as the Flames were worse
down the stretch than they were before the trades.
I can only guess that brother Brent was left to just make do with
these seemingly random roster decisions, and the Flames played like a
team without a clear direction from the front office.
There’s no question that Darryl Sutter is likely on his way out as
general manager. Could his brother be fired, yet Brent remain as coach?
I wonder what Christmas dinners will be like at the Sutter farm next
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5