Apr 10, 2010, 9:54 PM EDT
Both Wisconsin and Boston College came into the National Championship game as top seeds in the tournament and both more than looked the part in crushing their opponents in the semifinals, but it was Boston College that proved they were the most difficult and dangerous team of them all after crushing Wisconsin 5-0 to win their second National Championship in three years.
Ben Smith, voted the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player, got the Eagles on the board in the first period with a wide-open shot from the slot on the power play and much like in BCs semifinal against Miami, they wore down the more physically imposing Badgers with their speed and tenacity from that point on as they would not give up the lead from that point on.
The main question surround BC going into this tournament was on how their seemingly poor defense and goaltending would hold up against the best teams in the country. To say that Boston College answered those questions with authority would be an understatement. BC allowed one goal to the tournament’s top seed Miami and shutout #3 overall seed Wisconsin in the finals.
Leading the charge for Boston College was the tournament’s breakout star Cam Atkinson (a Blue Jackets prospect) who scored two backbreaking goals in the third period and finished the tournament with six goals, three assists and nine points overall. He finished up his season with 30 goals. Junior goaltender John Muse, who came into the year facing questions about his play, has now backstopped his second National Championship team as he was the main man in goal for the Eagles in 2008 as a freshman. His NCAA Tournament record now sits at an astounding 8-0.
For Boston College, this marks their fourth National Championship (1949, 2001, 2008) and the third title at Boston College for head coach Jerry York and his fourth overall in his legendary career (1984 Bowling Green).
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)