Apr 10, 2010, 9:54 PM EST
Both Wisconsin and Boston College came into the National Championship game as top seeds in the tournament and both more than looked the part in crushing their opponents in the semifinals, but it was Boston College that proved they were the most difficult and dangerous team of them all after crushing Wisconsin 5-0 to win their second National Championship in three years.
Ben Smith, voted the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player, got the Eagles on the board in the first period with a wide-open shot from the slot on the power play and much like in BCs semifinal against Miami, they wore down the more physically imposing Badgers with their speed and tenacity from that point on as they would not give up the lead from that point on.
The main question surround BC going into this tournament was on how their seemingly poor defense and goaltending would hold up against the best teams in the country. To say that Boston College answered those questions with authority would be an understatement. BC allowed one goal to the tournament’s top seed Miami and shutout #3 overall seed Wisconsin in the finals.
Leading the charge for Boston College was the tournament’s breakout star Cam Atkinson (a Blue Jackets prospect) who scored two backbreaking goals in the third period and finished the tournament with six goals, three assists and nine points overall. He finished up his season with 30 goals. Junior goaltender John Muse, who came into the year facing questions about his play, has now backstopped his second National Championship team as he was the main man in goal for the Eagles in 2008 as a freshman. His NCAA Tournament record now sits at an astounding 8-0.
For Boston College, this marks their fourth National Championship (1949, 2001, 2008) and the third title at Boston College for head coach Jerry York and his fourth overall in his legendary career (1984 Bowling Green).
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)