Apr 10, 2010, 9:54 PM EDT
Both Wisconsin and Boston College came into the National Championship game as top seeds in the tournament and both more than looked the part in crushing their opponents in the semifinals, but it was Boston College that proved they were the most difficult and dangerous team of them all after crushing Wisconsin 5-0 to win their second National Championship in three years.
Ben Smith, voted the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player, got the Eagles on the board in the first period with a wide-open shot from the slot on the power play and much like in BCs semifinal against Miami, they wore down the more physically imposing Badgers with their speed and tenacity from that point on as they would not give up the lead from that point on.
The main question surround BC going into this tournament was on how their seemingly poor defense and goaltending would hold up against the best teams in the country. To say that Boston College answered those questions with authority would be an understatement. BC allowed one goal to the tournament’s top seed Miami and shutout #3 overall seed Wisconsin in the finals.
Leading the charge for Boston College was the tournament’s breakout star Cam Atkinson (a Blue Jackets prospect) who scored two backbreaking goals in the third period and finished the tournament with six goals, three assists and nine points overall. He finished up his season with 30 goals. Junior goaltender John Muse, who came into the year facing questions about his play, has now backstopped his second National Championship team as he was the main man in goal for the Eagles in 2008 as a freshman. His NCAA Tournament record now sits at an astounding 8-0.
For Boston College, this marks their fourth National Championship (1949, 2001, 2008) and the third title at Boston College for head coach Jerry York and his fourth overall in his legendary career (1984 Bowling Green).
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63