Apr 10, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Here’s the latest Western Conference standings, with Los Angeles
currently losing to Edmonton as I type this.
Every team has clinched a playoff spot, but there is still some
jockeying to be done as far as playoff positioning goes. After the jump,
the remaining game and seeding possibilities for each team:
1. Chicago Blackhawks (111 points)
game: vs. Detroit Red Wings, Sunday @ 3 p.m. EDT
possibility: Can clinch top seed in the West with either a San Jose
loss in regulation tonight, or a win against the Red Wings tomorrow
2. San Jose Sharks (111 points)
game: vs. Phoenix Coyotoes, tonight @ 10:30 p.m. EDT
possibility: The Sharks would need to win tonight, and hope for a
Chicago loss tomorrow in order to get the top seed in the conference.
They cannot finish any lower than 2nd.
3. Vancouver Canucks
Remaining game: vs. Calgary
Flames, tonight @ 10:00 p.m. EDT
Seeding possibility: None.
The Canucks are locked into the 3rd seed in the West.
Phoenix Coyotes (106 points)
Remaining game: @San
Jose Sharks, tonight @ 10:30 p.m. EDT
Seeding possibility: None.
The Coyotes are locked into the 4th seed.
5. Detroit Red
Wings (100 points)
Remaining game: @ Chicago
Blackhawks, Sunday @ 3 p.m. EDT
Seeding possibility: The
Red Wings need a win tomorrow to lock down the 5th spot. With a loss to
Chicago, and wins by the LA Kings and Nashville Predators, the Red Wings
could drop as low as 7th, due to tiebreakers (more wins).
Los Angeles Kings (98 points)
Remaining games: vs.
Edmonton Oilers (in progress), @ Colorado Avalanche, Sunday @ 3 p.m.
Seeding possibility: If the Kings win out (tonight and
tomorrow @ Colorado) then they are assured a 5th seed. One loss, one win
and combined with Detroit loss and the Kings get 5th seed due to
tiebreakers. The Kings could also drop to 7th, with just one win and a
7. Nashville Predators (98 points)
games: vs. St. Louis Blues, tonight @ 8 p.m. EDT
possibility: Nearly identical to the Kings’, except that Nashville
has just one game remaining. The Predators could finish as high as 5th,
with losses by the Red Wings and Kings, and a win tonight. If the Kings
lose out, and Preds lose tonight, they would automatically finish in 6th
due to tiebreakers.
8. Colorado Avalanche (94 points)
games: vs. Los Angeles Kings @ 3 p.m. EDT
possibility: None. The Avalanche are locked into the final seed in
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 6
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 14
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)