Apr 9, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
Here’s the video the standing ovation Mike Modano received by the American Airlines Center crowd, with just over 5 minutes remaining in the third period. There had just been a short tribute from Modano to the fans put on the video board, which prompted an incredibly emotional ovation from the crowd.
And of course, Modano had to go out with a bang. Here’s video of Modano’s goal in the shootout:
After the jump, post game quotes from Modano on the incredible night and whether he feels he’ll be retiring after this season.
Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News has these quotes from Modano after he scored the game-tying goal late in regulation, and then scored in the shootout for the first time all season.
“It was tough to leave the ice there not knowing what the future holds; if that was it or it wasn’t,” he said. “You have nights like that, you think ‘this could keep going.’ You can play well if things go well for you like that; you finally score on your first shootout of the year. I don’t know if there was fate there, but certainly when you have nights like that it makes you ponder that decision a little longer.”
“I didn’t expect this reception at all. I was a little bit unprepared for that,” he said of the fact the feelings he experienced before an emotional home crowd Thursday stirred thoughts of retirement. “It certainly felt like the end, but I might come down with Favre-itis.”
Modano is not one to make a decision easily, and with his parents and every Stars fan in existence calling for one more year it’s going to be tough for him to hang up the skates.
But Ralph Strangis said it best: Mike Modano has the chance to really go out on top, on his terms, after a night that was one of the most incredible games the Stars have ever played. Other great players went out with a bit of a ‘whimper’, forced to retire after their final seasons were cut short by injuries. Joe Nieuwendyk, Joe Sakic, even Peter Forsberg all had to back out of their careers when their bodies could take no more.
After last night, it feels right and it feels like it’s time…no matter how much I may want Modano to never stop playing.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 45
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Bruins rookies have been the x-factor
- Play Video: Finalists for Mark Messier Leadership Award
- Play Video: Bruins turn weakness into strength
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Vokoun makes a big time save on Neil