Apr 9, 2010, 8:00 AM EST
Here’s the video the standing ovation Mike Modano received by the American Airlines Center crowd, with just over 5 minutes remaining in the third period. There had just been a short tribute from Modano to the fans put on the video board, which prompted an incredibly emotional ovation from the crowd.
And of course, Modano had to go out with a bang. Here’s video of Modano’s goal in the shootout:
After the jump, post game quotes from Modano on the incredible night and whether he feels he’ll be retiring after this season.
Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News has these quotes from Modano after he scored the game-tying goal late in regulation, and then scored in the shootout for the first time all season.
“It was tough to leave the ice there not knowing what the future holds; if that was it or it wasn’t,” he said. “You have nights like that, you think ‘this could keep going.’ You can play well if things go well for you like that; you finally score on your first shootout of the year. I don’t know if there was fate there, but certainly when you have nights like that it makes you ponder that decision a little longer.”
“I didn’t expect this reception at all. I was a little bit unprepared for that,” he said of the fact the feelings he experienced before an emotional home crowd Thursday stirred thoughts of retirement. “It certainly felt like the end, but I might come down with Favre-itis.”
Modano is not one to make a decision easily, and with his parents and every Stars fan in existence calling for one more year it’s going to be tough for him to hang up the skates.
But Ralph Strangis said it best: Mike Modano has the chance to really go out on top, on his terms, after a night that was one of the most incredible games the Stars have ever played. Other great players went out with a bit of a ‘whimper’, forced to retire after their final seasons were cut short by injuries. Joe Nieuwendyk, Joe Sakic, even Peter Forsberg all had to back out of their careers when their bodies could take no more.
After last night, it feels right and it feels like it’s time…no matter how much I may want Modano to never stop playing.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 12
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 27
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 30
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)