Apr 9, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
Here’s the video the standing ovation Mike Modano received by the American Airlines Center crowd, with just over 5 minutes remaining in the third period. There had just been a short tribute from Modano to the fans put on the video board, which prompted an incredibly emotional ovation from the crowd.
And of course, Modano had to go out with a bang. Here’s video of Modano’s goal in the shootout:
After the jump, post game quotes from Modano on the incredible night and whether he feels he’ll be retiring after this season.
Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News has these quotes from Modano after he scored the game-tying goal late in regulation, and then scored in the shootout for the first time all season.
“It was tough to leave the ice there not knowing what the future holds; if that was it or it wasn’t,” he said. “You have nights like that, you think ‘this could keep going.’ You can play well if things go well for you like that; you finally score on your first shootout of the year. I don’t know if there was fate there, but certainly when you have nights like that it makes you ponder that decision a little longer.”
“I didn’t expect this reception at all. I was a little bit unprepared for that,” he said of the fact the feelings he experienced before an emotional home crowd Thursday stirred thoughts of retirement. “It certainly felt like the end, but I might come down with Favre-itis.”
Modano is not one to make a decision easily, and with his parents and every Stars fan in existence calling for one more year it’s going to be tough for him to hang up the skates.
But Ralph Strangis said it best: Mike Modano has the chance to really go out on top, on his terms, after a night that was one of the most incredible games the Stars have ever played. Other great players went out with a bit of a ‘whimper’, forced to retire after their final seasons were cut short by injuries. Joe Nieuwendyk, Joe Sakic, even Peter Forsberg all had to back out of their careers when their bodies could take no more.
After last night, it feels right and it feels like it’s time…no matter how much I may want Modano to never stop playing.
- 2015 Jack Adams Award finalists: Hartley, Laviolette, Vigneault 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 6
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 37
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)