Apr 9, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
As we near the end of the season, we’re going to take a look at who we think should be three finalists for the Hart, Norris and Calder Trophies, making arguments for each. Next is the Calder trophy, the NHL’s award for the Rookie of the Year. First up: Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers.
Why he deserves it: Myers does a little bit of everything for the Sabres. It’s crazy enough that he’s the third leading rookie overall – as a defenseman – but he also logged the most minutes of any rookie (his 1,903 minutes on ice dwarfs runner-up Victor Hedman’s 1,542). He spends about 3 minutes per game on the power play and the penalty kill, blocks the most shots among rookies and is competitive in nearly every positive category. In fact, you can extend his great year beyond rookies: Tyler Myers leads all Buffalo Sabres in time on ice per game, averaging three more minutes than runner-up Henrik Tallinder. Buffalo would be lost without their skyscraper of a rookie.
Why he doesn’t deserve it: I don’t know, you like forwards or goalies better? I guess he had a lot of turnovers this season, with a rookies-leading 93 giveaways. He also could learn to use his near-Chara-sized frame a little bit more. (Grasps for more straws.)
Why he’ll get it: The Sabres are a good team that would be lost without him. He plays big minutes, but also puts up solid offensive numbers (sadly still a huge factor for some lazy trophy voters). He’s also really tall. For some reason I assume that will help.
Why he won’t get it: People deem Jimmy Howard more crucial to the Red Wings’s success or voters insist on choosing a forward over a defenseman. Rarely are blueliners given awards over goal scorers or goal stoppers.
(In this case, though, Myers absolutely should.)
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)