Apr 9, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
As we near the end of the season, we’re going to take a look at who we think should be three finalists for the Hart, Norris and Calder Trophies, making arguments for each. Next is the Calder trophy, the NHL’s award for the Rookie of the Year. First up: Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers.
Why he deserves it: Myers does a little bit of everything for the Sabres. It’s crazy enough that he’s the third leading rookie overall – as a defenseman – but he also logged the most minutes of any rookie (his 1,903 minutes on ice dwarfs runner-up Victor Hedman’s 1,542). He spends about 3 minutes per game on the power play and the penalty kill, blocks the most shots among rookies and is competitive in nearly every positive category. In fact, you can extend his great year beyond rookies: Tyler Myers leads all Buffalo Sabres in time on ice per game, averaging three more minutes than runner-up Henrik Tallinder. Buffalo would be lost without their skyscraper of a rookie.
Why he doesn’t deserve it: I don’t know, you like forwards or goalies better? I guess he had a lot of turnovers this season, with a rookies-leading 93 giveaways. He also could learn to use his near-Chara-sized frame a little bit more. (Grasps for more straws.)
Why he’ll get it: The Sabres are a good team that would be lost without him. He plays big minutes, but also puts up solid offensive numbers (sadly still a huge factor for some lazy trophy voters). He’s also really tall. For some reason I assume that will help.
Why he won’t get it: People deem Jimmy Howard more crucial to the Red Wings’s success or voters insist on choosing a forward over a defenseman. Rarely are blueliners given awards over goal scorers or goal stoppers.
(In this case, though, Myers absolutely should.)
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)