Apr 9, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
As we near the end of the season, we’re going to take a look at who we think should be three finalists for the Hart, Norris and Calder Trophies, making arguments for each. Next is the Calder trophy, the NHL’s award for the Rookie of the Year. First up: Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers.
Why he deserves it: Myers does a little bit of everything for the Sabres. It’s crazy enough that he’s the third leading rookie overall – as a defenseman – but he also logged the most minutes of any rookie (his 1,903 minutes on ice dwarfs runner-up Victor Hedman’s 1,542). He spends about 3 minutes per game on the power play and the penalty kill, blocks the most shots among rookies and is competitive in nearly every positive category. In fact, you can extend his great year beyond rookies: Tyler Myers leads all Buffalo Sabres in time on ice per game, averaging three more minutes than runner-up Henrik Tallinder. Buffalo would be lost without their skyscraper of a rookie.
Why he doesn’t deserve it: I don’t know, you like forwards or goalies better? I guess he had a lot of turnovers this season, with a rookies-leading 93 giveaways. He also could learn to use his near-Chara-sized frame a little bit more. (Grasps for more straws.)
Why he’ll get it: The Sabres are a good team that would be lost without him. He plays big minutes, but also puts up solid offensive numbers (sadly still a huge factor for some lazy trophy voters). He’s also really tall. For some reason I assume that will help.
Why he won’t get it: People deem Jimmy Howard more crucial to the Red Wings’s success or voters insist on choosing a forward over a defenseman. Rarely are blueliners given awards over goal scorers or goal stoppers.
(In this case, though, Myers absolutely should.)
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)