Apr 9, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
As we near the end of the season, we’re going to take a look at who we think should be three finalists for the Hart, Norris and Calder Trophies, making arguments for each. Next is the Calder trophy, the NHL’s award for the Rookie of the Year. First up: Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers.
Why he deserves it: Myers does a little bit of everything for the Sabres. It’s crazy enough that he’s the third leading rookie overall – as a defenseman – but he also logged the most minutes of any rookie (his 1,903 minutes on ice dwarfs runner-up Victor Hedman’s 1,542). He spends about 3 minutes per game on the power play and the penalty kill, blocks the most shots among rookies and is competitive in nearly every positive category. In fact, you can extend his great year beyond rookies: Tyler Myers leads all Buffalo Sabres in time on ice per game, averaging three more minutes than runner-up Henrik Tallinder. Buffalo would be lost without their skyscraper of a rookie.
Why he doesn’t deserve it: I don’t know, you like forwards or goalies better? I guess he had a lot of turnovers this season, with a rookies-leading 93 giveaways. He also could learn to use his near-Chara-sized frame a little bit more. (Grasps for more straws.)
Why he’ll get it: The Sabres are a good team that would be lost without him. He plays big minutes, but also puts up solid offensive numbers (sadly still a huge factor for some lazy trophy voters). He’s also really tall. For some reason I assume that will help.
Why he won’t get it: People deem Jimmy Howard more crucial to the Red Wings’s success or voters insist on choosing a forward over a defenseman. Rarely are blueliners given awards over goal scorers or goal stoppers.
(In this case, though, Myers absolutely should.)
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 5
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 28
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 87
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games