Apr 9, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Even though there’s still some hockey to be played, the 2009-10 season already broke the league’s record for most shootouts in a single campaign. NHL.com has some interesting (and, for the competitive balance of the game, disturbing) numbers about the charity point generators.
The 2009-10 season has seen a record 289 games that needed to go past regulation to determine a winner. That includes 113 games that have been decided in overtime, and a record 176 that have gone to a shootout. The previous highs were 282 overtime games, set last season, and 164 shootouts in 2006-07.
The article points out that goalies tend to have the advantage in the glorified skills competition, while there isn’t a clear advantage in who the home team is or which team elects to shoot first. The article also points out that this has been a year of epic shootouts (10 rounds or more) and that perhaps the Phoenix Coyotes can contribute some of their Cinderella success to the format.
A record seven shootouts have gone 10 rounds or more, including two (Detroit-Nashville, 11 rounds, March 27; Phoenix-Nashville, 10 rounds, Feb. 2) that decided games which were scoreless through 65 minutes.
Shootout brilliance can come from unexpected sources. Phoenix set an NHL record this season with 14 shootout wins; the Coyotes got a big boost from defenseman Adrian Aucoin, who had never taken a shootout attempt before this season but has earned the nickname “The Closer” by going 6-for-8 — with all six goals deciding the outcome.
More on shootouts – and what the league can do to make them less … convenient – later on today.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 54
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)