Apr 9, 2010, 11:09 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin: 50 goals, one game remaining
Sidney Crosby: 49 goals, two games remaining
Steven Stamkos: 48 goals, two games remaining
Clearly Alex Ovechkin got a bit intimidated when Sidney Crosby did, then later didn’t, score his 50th goal of the season last night. Entering tonight’s game against the Thrashers, Ovechkin was sitting tied for second in goals with Steven Stamkos with 48.
As could be expected in front of the home crowd in Washington, the Great Eight wasn’t about to slow down as he scored two goals on the night to up his season total to 50.
Washington has one more game for Ovechkin to add to his goal total on Sunday against the ever-stingy and potentially playoff-desperate Boston Bruins. Coincidentally enough, Crosby will get his chance to score goal 50 against the same Atlanta Thrashers on Saturday and can pile on against the Islanders on Sunday. Meanwhile, Steven Stamkos will try to keep pace with the league mega-super-duper stars in a weekend set of games against Florida.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46