Apr 9, 2010, 11:09 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin: 50 goals, one game remaining
Sidney Crosby: 49 goals, two games remaining
Steven Stamkos: 48 goals, two games remaining
Clearly Alex Ovechkin got a bit intimidated when Sidney Crosby did, then later didn’t, score his 50th goal of the season last night. Entering tonight’s game against the Thrashers, Ovechkin was sitting tied for second in goals with Steven Stamkos with 48.
As could be expected in front of the home crowd in Washington, the Great Eight wasn’t about to slow down as he scored two goals on the night to up his season total to 50.
Washington has one more game for Ovechkin to add to his goal total on Sunday against the ever-stingy and potentially playoff-desperate Boston Bruins. Coincidentally enough, Crosby will get his chance to score goal 50 against the same Atlanta Thrashers on Saturday and can pile on against the Islanders on Sunday. Meanwhile, Steven Stamkos will try to keep pace with the league mega-super-duper stars in a weekend set of games against Florida.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)