Apr 9, 2010, 11:09 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin: 50 goals, one game remaining
Sidney Crosby: 49 goals, two games remaining
Steven Stamkos: 48 goals, two games remaining
Clearly Alex Ovechkin got a bit intimidated when Sidney Crosby did, then later didn’t, score his 50th goal of the season last night. Entering tonight’s game against the Thrashers, Ovechkin was sitting tied for second in goals with Steven Stamkos with 48.
As could be expected in front of the home crowd in Washington, the Great Eight wasn’t about to slow down as he scored two goals on the night to up his season total to 50.
Washington has one more game for Ovechkin to add to his goal total on Sunday against the ever-stingy and potentially playoff-desperate Boston Bruins. Coincidentally enough, Crosby will get his chance to score goal 50 against the same Atlanta Thrashers on Saturday and can pile on against the Islanders on Sunday. Meanwhile, Steven Stamkos will try to keep pace with the league mega-super-duper stars in a weekend set of games against Florida.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)