Apr 9, 2010, 11:09 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin: 50 goals, one game remaining
Sidney Crosby: 49 goals, two games remaining
Steven Stamkos: 48 goals, two games remaining
Clearly Alex Ovechkin got a bit intimidated when Sidney Crosby did, then later didn’t, score his 50th goal of the season last night. Entering tonight’s game against the Thrashers, Ovechkin was sitting tied for second in goals with Steven Stamkos with 48.
As could be expected in front of the home crowd in Washington, the Great Eight wasn’t about to slow down as he scored two goals on the night to up his season total to 50.
Washington has one more game for Ovechkin to add to his goal total on Sunday against the ever-stingy and potentially playoff-desperate Boston Bruins. Coincidentally enough, Crosby will get his chance to score goal 50 against the same Atlanta Thrashers on Saturday and can pile on against the Islanders on Sunday. Meanwhile, Steven Stamkos will try to keep pace with the league mega-super-duper stars in a weekend set of games against Florida.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32