Apr 9, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT
If you’re not familiar with the Hobey Baker Award in college hockey, it’s their version of the college football Heisman Trophy. In a race between Maine’s Gustav Nyqvist, New Hampshire’s Bobby Butler and Wisconsin’s Blake Geoffrion, it was Geoffrion coming away with college hockey’s top individual prize, the first player in Wisconsin’s history to do so.
This season, Geoffrion has already helped lead his team to the National Championship game (against Boston College tomorrow night) and lead the team in goal scoring with 28, while notching 50 points overall. On a team as loaded with talent as Wisconsin is this year, it’s could be easy to get lost in the mix but Geoffrion’s goals and overall gameplay have been outstanding all around.
Geoffrion, who comes from a long lineage of hockey greatness including his grandfather Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion, is a prospect of the Nashville Predators and even hails from Brentwood,Tennessee. Hello instant marketing! The Predators have to be overjoyed at getting a player of this pedigree and talent to come their way sooner than later. Geoffrion will be graduating from Wisconsin this year and will soon be able to team up with last year’s Hobey Baker Award finalist from Boston University, Colin Wilson.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 38
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 99
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (100)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)