Apr 9, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT
If you’re not familiar with the Hobey Baker Award in college hockey, it’s their version of the college football Heisman Trophy. In a race between Maine’s Gustav Nyqvist, New Hampshire’s Bobby Butler and Wisconsin’s Blake Geoffrion, it was Geoffrion coming away with college hockey’s top individual prize, the first player in Wisconsin’s history to do so.
This season, Geoffrion has already helped lead his team to the National Championship game (against Boston College tomorrow night) and lead the team in goal scoring with 28, while notching 50 points overall. On a team as loaded with talent as Wisconsin is this year, it’s could be easy to get lost in the mix but Geoffrion’s goals and overall gameplay have been outstanding all around.
Geoffrion, who comes from a long lineage of hockey greatness including his grandfather Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion, is a prospect of the Nashville Predators and even hails from Brentwood,Tennessee. Hello instant marketing! The Predators have to be overjoyed at getting a player of this pedigree and talent to come their way sooner than later. Geoffrion will be graduating from Wisconsin this year and will soon be able to team up with last year’s Hobey Baker Award finalist from Boston University, Colin Wilson.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 2
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)