Apr 9, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT
If you’re not familiar with the Hobey Baker Award in college hockey, it’s their version of the college football Heisman Trophy. In a race between Maine’s Gustav Nyqvist, New Hampshire’s Bobby Butler and Wisconsin’s Blake Geoffrion, it was Geoffrion coming away with college hockey’s top individual prize, the first player in Wisconsin’s history to do so.
This season, Geoffrion has already helped lead his team to the National Championship game (against Boston College tomorrow night) and lead the team in goal scoring with 28, while notching 50 points overall. On a team as loaded with talent as Wisconsin is this year, it’s could be easy to get lost in the mix but Geoffrion’s goals and overall gameplay have been outstanding all around.
Geoffrion, who comes from a long lineage of hockey greatness including his grandfather Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion, is a prospect of the Nashville Predators and even hails from Brentwood,Tennessee. Hello instant marketing! The Predators have to be overjoyed at getting a player of this pedigree and talent to come their way sooner than later. Geoffrion will be graduating from Wisconsin this year and will soon be able to team up with last year’s Hobey Baker Award finalist from Boston University, Colin Wilson.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)