Apr 9, 2010, 8:08 PM EST
If you’re not familiar with the Hobey Baker Award in college hockey, it’s their version of the college football Heisman Trophy. In a race between Maine’s Gustav Nyqvist, New Hampshire’s Bobby Butler and Wisconsin’s Blake Geoffrion, it was Geoffrion coming away with college hockey’s top individual prize, the first player in Wisconsin’s history to do so.
This season, Geoffrion has already helped lead his team to the National Championship game (against Boston College tomorrow night) and lead the team in goal scoring with 28, while notching 50 points overall. On a team as loaded with talent as Wisconsin is this year, it’s could be easy to get lost in the mix but Geoffrion’s goals and overall gameplay have been outstanding all around.
Geoffrion, who comes from a long lineage of hockey greatness including his grandfather Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion, is a prospect of the Nashville Predators and even hails from Brentwood,Tennessee. Hello instant marketing! The Predators have to be overjoyed at getting a player of this pedigree and talent to come their way sooner than later. Geoffrion will be graduating from Wisconsin this year and will soon be able to team up with last year’s Hobey Baker Award finalist from Boston University, Colin Wilson.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 10
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 36
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)