Apr 8, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby: 49? goals, 2 games remaining.
Alex Ovechkin: 48 goals, 2 games remaining.
Steven Stamkos: 48 goals, 2 games remaining.
Oh, it’s getting interesting now.
The neverending rivalry between Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin could reach another level tonight after Crosby scored what seemed to be goals to take a commanding lead in the race for the Rocket Richard Trophy.
The controversy stems from what seemed to be the 50th goal by Crosby, which appeared to go into the net off Bill Guerin’s hip. The goal was scored as Crosby’s, and instantly there were calls that the NHL’s conspiracy wheels were turning once more in favor of Sidney Crosby.
Here’s video of the play:
The entire internet exploded over Crosby’s first 50 goal season, with NHL.com putting up a game story touting that very fact.
But according to the NHL.com boxscore, the goal has since been changed to Bill Guerin’s.
For now, we’re going under the assumption that Crosby has just a one goal lead over Ovechkin and Stamkos.
[Update: Dan Bylsma said in his press conference after the game that Sidney Crosby stated that the puck went off Bill Guerin. The goal goes to Guerin.]
It should be interesting to see how all three handle the race in the final two games. Crosby and the Penguins still have something to play for as they fight for playoff positioning, but the Capitals and Lightning are just playing out the season.
This means that Stamkos and Ovechkin just let loose with as many shots as they could possibly work into a game. Forget about passing, just put the puck on net as much as possible.
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 0
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 12
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14