Apr 8, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby: 49? goals, 2 games remaining.
Alex Ovechkin: 48 goals, 2 games remaining.
Steven Stamkos: 48 goals, 2 games remaining.
Oh, it’s getting interesting now.
The neverending rivalry between Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin could reach another level tonight after Crosby scored what seemed to be goals to take a commanding lead in the race for the Rocket Richard Trophy.
The controversy stems from what seemed to be the 50th goal by Crosby, which appeared to go into the net off Bill Guerin’s hip. The goal was scored as Crosby’s, and instantly there were calls that the NHL’s conspiracy wheels were turning once more in favor of Sidney Crosby.
Here’s video of the play:
The entire internet exploded over Crosby’s first 50 goal season, with NHL.com putting up a game story touting that very fact.
But according to the NHL.com boxscore, the goal has since been changed to Bill Guerin’s.
For now, we’re going under the assumption that Crosby has just a one goal lead over Ovechkin and Stamkos.
[Update: Dan Bylsma said in his press conference after the game that Sidney Crosby stated that the puck went off Bill Guerin. The goal goes to Guerin.]
It should be interesting to see how all three handle the race in the final two games. Crosby and the Penguins still have something to play for as they fight for playoff positioning, but the Capitals and Lightning are just playing out the season.
This means that Stamkos and Ovechkin just let loose with as many shots as they could possibly work into a game. Forget about passing, just put the puck on net as much as possible.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)