Apr 8, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby: 49? goals, 2 games remaining.
Alex Ovechkin: 48 goals, 2 games remaining.
Steven Stamkos: 48 goals, 2 games remaining.
Oh, it’s getting interesting now.
The neverending rivalry between Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin could reach another level tonight after Crosby scored what seemed to be goals to take a commanding lead in the race for the Rocket Richard Trophy.
The controversy stems from what seemed to be the 50th goal by Crosby, which appeared to go into the net off Bill Guerin’s hip. The goal was scored as Crosby’s, and instantly there were calls that the NHL’s conspiracy wheels were turning once more in favor of Sidney Crosby.
Here’s video of the play:
The entire internet exploded over Crosby’s first 50 goal season, with NHL.com putting up a game story touting that very fact.
But according to the NHL.com boxscore, the goal has since been changed to Bill Guerin’s.
For now, we’re going under the assumption that Crosby has just a one goal lead over Ovechkin and Stamkos.
[Update: Dan Bylsma said in his press conference after the game that Sidney Crosby stated that the puck went off Bill Guerin. The goal goes to Guerin.]
It should be interesting to see how all three handle the race in the final two games. Crosby and the Penguins still have something to play for as they fight for playoff positioning, but the Capitals and Lightning are just playing out the season.
This means that Stamkos and Ovechkin just let loose with as many shots as they could possibly work into a game. Forget about passing, just put the puck on net as much as possible.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)