Apr 8, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Here’s a few quicks to supplement your hockey knowledge for the day.
New Jersey high school hockey teams finally finish game that was 21 years in the making
Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy shares this great story of two New Jersey-area high school hockey teams who finally “played” a game that was originally intended to be finished (but obviously never was) in 1989. Originally, the two teams were unable to play the game because of an outbreak of measles (Editor’s note: hahaha).
It wasn’t just a game. It became an event.
When word started to spread, organizers turned it into a charitable venture. More than $200,000 was raised with proceeds benefiting the NHL’s Hockey Fights Cancer and The Valerie Fund, an organization that helps children with cancer and blood disorders.
A crowd of 2,500 people filled Mennen Arena (the would-be host of the ’89 title game) in Morristown, New Jersey last Saturday and saw Delbarton win 3-2.
Russo claims that Minnesota will host 2011 NHL Draft
Michael Russo reports that Minnesota is the odds-on venue to host the 2011 NHL Draft. The place certainly earns it’s “State of Hockey” moniker on many occasions, so that could be a lot of fun. Russo notes that the area will also host that year’s Frozen Four, so it could be quite a puck-heavy year even for a state devoted to the sport. Now, if we can just sort out whether or not the North Dakota “Fargo” accent is actually based on the Dakota or Minnesota accent …
Vancouver’s “battle of the bulge”
Poor Kyle Wellwood and Shane O’Brien … the guys just want to wolf down the occasional burger or sleep all day after an epic binge. Is that so wrong? OK, I guess it kind of is for a professional athlete. The Globe and Mail discusses the fact that “one size doesn’t fit all in the Vancouver locker room.” Oh, the fat jokes abound.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)