Apr 8, 2010, 10:20 AM EST
I’ve said my piece about allowing Pat Burns into the Hall of Fame early (at least, if voters deem him worthy in the first place) because it always seems extra-tragic when someone is inducted posthumously. I don’t think I’m the only person who was hoping that such a thought would not come to the forefront again so soon, as the former Stanley Cup winning coach’s health continues to sadly deteriorate. The CBC reports that Burns was recently admitted to a hospital.
Former NHL coach Pat Burns, stricken with terminal lung cancer, has been admitted to hospital in Florida, according to reports.
Burns was hospitalized outside Tampa, Fla., on Sunday – his 58th birthday – according to Montreal sports radio station CKAC.
Jeez, on his birthday? That’s not cool at all. I’ll leave you with this quote from Burns’ recent press conference, in which he looked disconcertingly frail (and was honest about his grim health situation) but also positive about the big picture.
“As your life gets closer to the end, you realize that your body gets weaker, you mind works harder but your heart gets softer. You get closer to family, you get closer to God, and there are things that you realize along the way.
“I probably won’t see the final project,” Burns told guests at the gathering, including former colleagues, players and Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
“But I know one thing, is that when I’m looking down, j’espère que je vais regarder et voir un jeune Mario Lemieux ou Wayne Gretzky apparaître (I hope I will see a young Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky appear).”
Let’s hope he won’t be “looking down” from up high anytime soon. Best wishes to Burns and his family.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)