Apr 8, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
I’ve said my piece about allowing Pat Burns into the Hall of Fame early (at least, if voters deem him worthy in the first place) because it always seems extra-tragic when someone is inducted posthumously. I don’t think I’m the only person who was hoping that such a thought would not come to the forefront again so soon, as the former Stanley Cup winning coach’s health continues to sadly deteriorate. The CBC reports that Burns was recently admitted to a hospital.
Former NHL coach Pat Burns, stricken with terminal lung cancer, has been admitted to hospital in Florida, according to reports.
Burns was hospitalized outside Tampa, Fla., on Sunday – his 58th birthday – according to Montreal sports radio station CKAC.
Jeez, on his birthday? That’s not cool at all. I’ll leave you with this quote from Burns’ recent press conference, in which he looked disconcertingly frail (and was honest about his grim health situation) but also positive about the big picture.
“As your life gets closer to the end, you realize that your body gets weaker, you mind works harder but your heart gets softer. You get closer to family, you get closer to God, and there are things that you realize along the way.
“I probably won’t see the final project,” Burns told guests at the gathering, including former colleagues, players and Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
“But I know one thing, is that when I’m looking down, j’espère que je vais regarder et voir un jeune Mario Lemieux ou Wayne Gretzky apparaître (I hope I will see a young Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky appear).”
Let’s hope he won’t be “looking down” from up high anytime soon. Best wishes to Burns and his family.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 3
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 16
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9