Apr 8, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Mark Recchi is eternal. Mark Recchi wants to enter Chris Chelios Territory.
Seriously, the guy just won’t retire. He defiantly takes off his helmet to reveal his time dishonored hairline. He remains a respectably productive point producer as his drop from 61 points last season to 42 this year probably has as much to do with the Boston Bruins’ fall than it does with Father Time checking his watch. Among a team of younger men, he’s one of the few who managed to play every game.
The Boston Herald reports that the 42-year old winger want to come back for the 2010-11 season.
If you think Mark Recchi is playing out his swan song, you are wrong.
The 42-year-old future Hall of Famer, who has 17 goals and 25 assists and is one of only three Bruins [team stats] to play every game this season, feels like he has gas left in the tank.
“I still feel great and it’s the end of the season, so I’m definitely leaning toward (playing again),” Recchi said yesterday. “We’ll see at the end of the year, but I’m still enjoying it.”
Well, good for you Mr. Recching Ball. The elderly skatesman is just 16 points shy of 1500 career points and will probably make the Hall of Fame even though he’s rarely (if ever) been a truly elite player. That’s fine, though, because Recchi seems like an exceedingly good guy.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)