Apr 8, 2010, 11:20 PM EST
Boston College is headed to a 2006 National Championship rematch with Wisconsin after taking out Miami University 7-1 in the second semifinal of the Frozen Four in Detroit. The loss by Miami marks the fourth time in the last five years the Redhawks have been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament by Boston College.
Miami head coach Enrico Blasi is certainly going to face an unhealthy amount of second guessing after starting Connor Knapp over Hobey Baker candidate Cody Reichard. Knapp was pulled at the 3:08 mark of the second period after surrendering a goal to Joe Whitney to make it 3-0.
Miami showed signs early in the third that they may have been ready to come back after Joe Hartman scored five minutes into the period to make it 3-1, but the wheels came off in a big way as Boston College scored four unanswered goals after that on Reichard to soundly crush the Redhawks.
For all the questions that existed about Boston College’s defense, they were answered with their own speed as Miami struggled to keep up with the Eagles all game long. When it seemed early on that Miami’s size and physical play were going to be the main factors, BC kept the pedal pushed down and skated circles around Miami’s forwards and defense. When the third period rolled around, it was clear that Miami just ran out of gas chasing Boston College around the ice.
The National Championship game is set for Saturday night and will mark the second time in five years these two teams will meet for the title. Wisconsin defeated Boston College in 2006 in Milwaukee on the back of current Wild forward Robbie Earl’s game-winning goal. Current Ottawa Senators goalie Brian Elliott picked up the win for the Badgers in that game. For BC, this will mark their fourth National Championship game in five years. BC won the National Championship in 2008 over Notre Dame and lost in 2006 to Wisconsin and 2007 to Michigan State.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)