Apr 8, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
Boston College is headed to a 2006 National Championship rematch with Wisconsin after taking out Miami University 7-1 in the second semifinal of the Frozen Four in Detroit. The loss by Miami marks the fourth time in the last five years the Redhawks have been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament by Boston College.
Miami head coach Enrico Blasi is certainly going to face an unhealthy amount of second guessing after starting Connor Knapp over Hobey Baker candidate Cody Reichard. Knapp was pulled at the 3:08 mark of the second period after surrendering a goal to Joe Whitney to make it 3-0.
Miami showed signs early in the third that they may have been ready to come back after Joe Hartman scored five minutes into the period to make it 3-1, but the wheels came off in a big way as Boston College scored four unanswered goals after that on Reichard to soundly crush the Redhawks.
For all the questions that existed about Boston College’s defense, they were answered with their own speed as Miami struggled to keep up with the Eagles all game long. When it seemed early on that Miami’s size and physical play were going to be the main factors, BC kept the pedal pushed down and skated circles around Miami’s forwards and defense. When the third period rolled around, it was clear that Miami just ran out of gas chasing Boston College around the ice.
The National Championship game is set for Saturday night and will mark the second time in five years these two teams will meet for the title. Wisconsin defeated Boston College in 2006 in Milwaukee on the back of current Wild forward Robbie Earl’s game-winning goal. Current Ottawa Senators goalie Brian Elliott picked up the win for the Badgers in that game. For BC, this will mark their fourth National Championship game in five years. BC won the National Championship in 2008 over Notre Dame and lost in 2006 to Wisconsin and 2007 to Michigan State.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 8
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 15
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28