Apr 7, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
Here are a few quick injury updates and other news bits from around the league.
Vanek in, Connolly out
In a case of good news/bad news, the Buffalo Sabres found out that winger Thomas Vanek is set to return soon after missing 5 games while Tim Connolly is expected to sit out the rest of the regular season with a “lower body injury” according to TSN. It’s already started a bit, but get ready for the golden age of vague, one-half-of-the-body injury reports. Ah, the playoffs.
Cristobal Huet trying to stay positive
Considering the fact that the Chicago Blackhawks announced that Antti Niemi will be their starter for the playoffs instead of $5.6 million man Cristobal Huet, it’s understandable that Huet is struggling to keep a good attitude. The Chicago Tribune has the story.
“I can only blame myself for not being on top of my game the last two or three games,” said Huet, who is 26-14-4 with a 2.50 goals-against average this season. “Right now I’m just trying to stay sharp and mentally positive, to be ready in case the team needs me.
“The important thing is we are in the right place and where we want to be as a team. I try not to make waves.”
Chris Kunitz might sit out rest of regular season
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the team might keep Kunitz out for the rest of the regular season. I’d generally say that as long as a team has a playoff spot clinched, they should err on the side of safety.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 14
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 29
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)