Apr 7, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
Here are a few quick injury updates and other news bits from around the league.
Vanek in, Connolly out
In a case of good news/bad news, the Buffalo Sabres found out that winger Thomas Vanek is set to return soon after missing 5 games while Tim Connolly is expected to sit out the rest of the regular season with a “lower body injury” according to TSN. It’s already started a bit, but get ready for the golden age of vague, one-half-of-the-body injury reports. Ah, the playoffs.
Cristobal Huet trying to stay positive
Considering the fact that the Chicago Blackhawks announced that Antti Niemi will be their starter for the playoffs instead of $5.6 million man Cristobal Huet, it’s understandable that Huet is struggling to keep a good attitude. The Chicago Tribune has the story.
“I can only blame myself for not being on top of my game the last two or three games,” said Huet, who is 26-14-4 with a 2.50 goals-against average this season. “Right now I’m just trying to stay sharp and mentally positive, to be ready in case the team needs me.
“The important thing is we are in the right place and where we want to be as a team. I try not to make waves.”
Chris Kunitz might sit out rest of regular season
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the team might keep Kunitz out for the rest of the regular season. I’d generally say that as long as a team has a playoff spot clinched, they should err on the side of safety.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)