Apr 7, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
There weren’t many “casualties” from the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics – at least compared to 2006 when Dominik Hasek went down with a serious injury – but Ottawa Senators defenseman Filip Kuba appears to be one of them. After trying to rehab the injury, Kuba was forced to have surgery on his back because of a herniated disk on Tuesday night according to NHL.com.
Senators general manager Bryan Murray confirmed earlier today that the veteran defenceman will be sidelined for the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
“We suspect he’s out for the next four weeks, at least,” said Murray. “(It looks like) we certainly have to get into the second round, at this point in time, for him to be available to us at all. But let’s hope that’s the case and somewhere down the line, it would be a nice addition to have if we go deep into the playoffs.
The article also discussed the Senators fall-back plans.
With Kuba on the shelf, the Senators will look toward Brian Lee as their seventh defenceman, behind the pairings of Chris Phillips-Anton Volchenkov, Andy Sutton-Erik Karlsson and Chris Campoli-Matt Carkner. Last year’s top draft pick, Jared Cowen, is also with the team, now that his Spokane Chiefs have been eliminated from the Western Hockey League playoffs.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 5
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 26
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)