Apr 7, 2010, 3:20 PM EST
There weren’t many “casualties” from the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics – at least compared to 2006 when Dominik Hasek went down with a serious injury – but Ottawa Senators defenseman Filip Kuba appears to be one of them. After trying to rehab the injury, Kuba was forced to have surgery on his back because of a herniated disk on Tuesday night according to NHL.com.
Senators general manager Bryan Murray confirmed earlier today that the veteran defenceman will be sidelined for the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
“We suspect he’s out for the next four weeks, at least,” said Murray. “(It looks like) we certainly have to get into the second round, at this point in time, for him to be available to us at all. But let’s hope that’s the case and somewhere down the line, it would be a nice addition to have if we go deep into the playoffs.
The article also discussed the Senators fall-back plans.
With Kuba on the shelf, the Senators will look toward Brian Lee as their seventh defenceman, behind the pairings of Chris Phillips-Anton Volchenkov, Andy Sutton-Erik Karlsson and Chris Campoli-Matt Carkner. Last year’s top draft pick, Jared Cowen, is also with the team, now that his Spokane Chiefs have been eliminated from the Western Hockey League playoffs.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)