Apr 7, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
There weren’t many “casualties” from the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics – at least compared to 2006 when Dominik Hasek went down with a serious injury – but Ottawa Senators defenseman Filip Kuba appears to be one of them. After trying to rehab the injury, Kuba was forced to have surgery on his back because of a herniated disk on Tuesday night according to NHL.com.
Senators general manager Bryan Murray confirmed earlier today that the veteran defenceman will be sidelined for the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
“We suspect he’s out for the next four weeks, at least,” said Murray. “(It looks like) we certainly have to get into the second round, at this point in time, for him to be available to us at all. But let’s hope that’s the case and somewhere down the line, it would be a nice addition to have if we go deep into the playoffs.
The article also discussed the Senators fall-back plans.
With Kuba on the shelf, the Senators will look toward Brian Lee as their seventh defenceman, behind the pairings of Chris Phillips-Anton Volchenkov, Andy Sutton-Erik Karlsson and Chris Campoli-Matt Carkner. Last year’s top draft pick, Jared Cowen, is also with the team, now that his Spokane Chiefs have been eliminated from the Western Hockey League playoffs.
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 5
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 2
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 27
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 32
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)