Apr 6, 2010, 11:45 PM EST
What’s sure to be one of the highlighted races as the season winds down is the race between Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos for the Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy. If you’ve been under a rock the last couple years, the Richard Trophy goes to the NHLs top goal scorer.
After tonight’s games, the race got a bit more interesting, not to mention infuriating if you’re a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Crosby got on the board with his 48th goal of the season in the first period but was not to be outdone on the night. Not only did the Pens fall to the Washington Capitals, Alex Ovechkin scored the final two Caps goals in the 6-3 victory, including an empty net goal with 0.2 seconds to play.
The Pens fan by the glass trying to wave off the goal looks like the angriest guy in the building after that empty netter. Perhaps he’s got some money on the Richard Trophy race. The goals were Ovechkin’s 47th and 48th on the season, tying him with Crosby for first place after Sid’s first period tally.
Not to be forgotten about is Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos who got the scoring started against Carolina tonight notching his 47th goal of the season.
Stamkos continues to be one of the few bright spots this season for the Lightning as Carolina won the game 8-5.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (147)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)