Apr 6, 2010, 11:45 PM EST
What’s sure to be one of the highlighted races as the season winds down is the race between Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos for the Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy. If you’ve been under a rock the last couple years, the Richard Trophy goes to the NHLs top goal scorer.
After tonight’s games, the race got a bit more interesting, not to mention infuriating if you’re a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Crosby got on the board with his 48th goal of the season in the first period but was not to be outdone on the night. Not only did the Pens fall to the Washington Capitals, Alex Ovechkin scored the final two Caps goals in the 6-3 victory, including an empty net goal with 0.2 seconds to play.
The Pens fan by the glass trying to wave off the goal looks like the angriest guy in the building after that empty netter. Perhaps he’s got some money on the Richard Trophy race. The goals were Ovechkin’s 47th and 48th on the season, tying him with Crosby for first place after Sid’s first period tally.
Not to be forgotten about is Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos who got the scoring started against Carolina tonight notching his 47th goal of the season.
Stamkos continues to be one of the few bright spots this season for the Lightning as Carolina won the game 8-5.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 0
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 57
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 76
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (71)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)