Apr 6, 2010, 11:45 PM EST
What’s sure to be one of the highlighted races as the season winds down is the race between Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos for the Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy. If you’ve been under a rock the last couple years, the Richard Trophy goes to the NHLs top goal scorer.
After tonight’s games, the race got a bit more interesting, not to mention infuriating if you’re a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Crosby got on the board with his 48th goal of the season in the first period but was not to be outdone on the night. Not only did the Pens fall to the Washington Capitals, Alex Ovechkin scored the final two Caps goals in the 6-3 victory, including an empty net goal with 0.2 seconds to play.
The Pens fan by the glass trying to wave off the goal looks like the angriest guy in the building after that empty netter. Perhaps he’s got some money on the Richard Trophy race. The goals were Ovechkin’s 47th and 48th on the season, tying him with Crosby for first place after Sid’s first period tally.
Not to be forgotten about is Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos who got the scoring started against Carolina tonight notching his 47th goal of the season.
Stamkos continues to be one of the few bright spots this season for the Lightning as Carolina won the game 8-5.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 12
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 9
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)