Apr 6, 2010, 11:45 PM EST
What’s sure to be one of the highlighted races as the season winds down is the race between Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos for the Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy. If you’ve been under a rock the last couple years, the Richard Trophy goes to the NHLs top goal scorer.
After tonight’s games, the race got a bit more interesting, not to mention infuriating if you’re a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Crosby got on the board with his 48th goal of the season in the first period but was not to be outdone on the night. Not only did the Pens fall to the Washington Capitals, Alex Ovechkin scored the final two Caps goals in the 6-3 victory, including an empty net goal with 0.2 seconds to play.
The Pens fan by the glass trying to wave off the goal looks like the angriest guy in the building after that empty netter. Perhaps he’s got some money on the Richard Trophy race. The goals were Ovechkin’s 47th and 48th on the season, tying him with Crosby for first place after Sid’s first period tally.
Not to be forgotten about is Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos who got the scoring started against Carolina tonight notching his 47th goal of the season.
Stamkos continues to be one of the few bright spots this season for the Lightning as Carolina won the game 8-5.
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 1
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 1
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 9
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 11
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)