Apr 6, 2010, 11:45 PM EDT
What’s sure to be one of the highlighted races as the season winds down is the race between Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos for the Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy. If you’ve been under a rock the last couple years, the Richard Trophy goes to the NHLs top goal scorer.
After tonight’s games, the race got a bit more interesting, not to mention infuriating if you’re a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Crosby got on the board with his 48th goal of the season in the first period but was not to be outdone on the night. Not only did the Pens fall to the Washington Capitals, Alex Ovechkin scored the final two Caps goals in the 6-3 victory, including an empty net goal with 0.2 seconds to play.
The Pens fan by the glass trying to wave off the goal looks like the angriest guy in the building after that empty netter. Perhaps he’s got some money on the Richard Trophy race. The goals were Ovechkin’s 47th and 48th on the season, tying him with Crosby for first place after Sid’s first period tally.
Not to be forgotten about is Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos who got the scoring started against Carolina tonight notching his 47th goal of the season.
Stamkos continues to be one of the few bright spots this season for the Lightning as Carolina won the game 8-5.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)