Apr 6, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
The words “playoffs” and “Los Angeles Kings” haven’t gone together in a few years (since 2001-2002 to be exact) so you’ll have to forgive head coach Terry Murray if being asked about how to prepare for the playoffs is a bit new to him as it’s his first time back there since he took the Panthers to the playoffs in 1999-2000. Yeah, the Panthers.
Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider asked if Murray if going “pedal to the metal” with four games left is the way to play it now that they’ve qualified for the playoffs.
“The last thing you want, as an organization, is someone on the outside, at the end of the day, evaluating the last half a dozen games and saying, `I wish they had played that guy, or started that goaltender, or played harder.’ It just eliminates all doubt on anybody’s part. But the most important part, again, is getting your own team ready, fine-tuning it, pushing to get yourself ready for the playoffs.”
Well chosen words for Murray who, until the Kings hired him to be head coach before last season, had been out of work since being canned by those same Panthers 36 games into the 2000-2001 campaign after the team started 6-18-7-5 that season. Incidentally, remember how much those four number record lines stunk? I need to dust off my old NHL slide rule to figure out what exactly that meant. At least seeing only six wins makes it easy to see that they were pretty bad that year.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)