Apr 6, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Since the other two games were more or less glorified exhibitions, this morning’s video fun will focus mainly on the Washington-Boston contest. It’s a good thing that there’s some interesting video to show you.
First things first, let’s take a look at a moment that could have been controversial. This debated goal by Nicklas Backstrom was reviewed over and over again on TV and in Toronto for a good reason: it’s really a close call. It’s important to note that for a goal to count, the entire puck must cross the red line. You be the judge: does it make its way over or is there just a bit more to go before it’s actually a goal?
Personally, I think that it wasn’t a goal, but it’s so hard to say that I can understand why they went with the on-ice decision. I will say this, though: NHL defensemen have an almost eerie knack for stopping goals at the last minute. I’ll never forget Willie Mitchell saving an apparent goal during a Dallas Stars-Vancouver Canucks series years ago. Is there some secret last second goal stopping training school these guys go to or something?
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)