Apr 5, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
How many times has a team with a one-goal lead scored an empty net goal with under a minute remaining, icing the game? Countless times. In fact, pulling the goaltender in an attempt to tie the game with an extra attacker is a gamble that pays off far less than actually leading to a tie game.
With a 2-1 lead late in the third period, Vancouver hit an empty net with 55 seconds remaining in regulation to push the lead to 3-1. Game over, right?
Watch the highlights. It was a great game overall, but the best stuff begins around the six-minute mark.
- In praise of John Tavares 3
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 12
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31