Apr 5, 2010, 1:01 PM EDT
It took a lot of courage for Theo Fleury to come public with claims
that he had been abused by his former juniors coach Graham James, who
had previously been convicted in 1997 in Canada of assaulting Sheldon
Kennedy. Fleury had stated one reason he came forward was to raise
awareness that victims of sexual assault and abuse should not be afraid
of coming out against their attackers.
So you can understand his
anger when learning that James was given a pardon in 2007 for his crime.
A pardon does not erase a person’s criminal record, but it ensures the
convictions are kept out of a police database used by officers
lot of ramifications that come from poorly made decisions
such as that,” Fleury said in an interview from Calgary. “It has an
amazing trickle-down effect.”
“We’re trying to encourage victims
to start on a process and with a
decision like this obviously puts a pretty big damper on people’s
processes,” he said.
He’s right in the fact that it’s
tough to encourage victims to speak out on such crimes when they feel
the justice system won’t do them any favors. I don’t want to get too
heavily into the subject matter at hand, but it’s thought that for every
sexual assault that is committed and reported, there are many more that
go unreported. The victims feel guilty, ashamed and are afraid of the
ramifications of going to the police.
How can Fleury and others
convince victims that reporting such crimes is needed, helpful and
worthwhile when the justice system fails them?
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 41
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 4
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination