Apr 5, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have signed Toby Petersen to a 2-year contract
extension worth $1.55 million, the team announced today.
“Toby Petersen’s character and work ethic are the type of attributes
we want in our players,” said Nieuwendyk. “He is a very versatile
forward that can play throughout your lineup. He is a good example of
the type of professional we want on the Dallas Stars hockey club.”
don’t normally report on contract extensions for fourth line players,
but Petersen is an interesting story. For one, he’s a diabetic who has
to wear a special insulin device while playing. He’s never had any
diabetes-related issues while playing, however, and is a model for
success through adversity.
There’s also an funny anecdote
surrounding his time with the Stars. He was signed as a free agent in
July of 2007, after being named the team MVP of the Iowa Stars of the
AHL while a member of the Edmonton Oilers franchise. He played most of
the 07-08 season with Iowa, before being called up late in the season
due to injuries. He played in all 16 playoff games for the Stars that
year, and was a big part of the team’s success that postseason.
funny about it? Many Stars fans were excited about this young, speedy
prospect they were just getting a taste of. He was 28 at the time.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 11
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 8
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 33
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 57
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 88
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead